Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 03-08-2002, 07:47 AM   #1
caballero
Starting Member

This is a question for the more experienced roasters on this board.
I'm a roasting newbie--just got my Heartware roaster yesterday and my first batch.
I let the beans rest about 12 hours and brewed a pot--not bad at all for the first time--but I would've preferred a slightly darker roast.
My question is this: can these already roasted beans be re-roasted slightly darker or should I just mix them with a darker roasted batch?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:49 AM   #2
MetsFan
Herf God

I've never tried it but I've heard from people who have and they say re-roasting makes things even worse. Depending on how much you roasted, I would either just drink it as it is (unless it's really undrinkable) or roast another batch darker and blend the two.

This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.
MetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:21 PM   #3
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I read a post from Martin once that said it is very important for the beans to climb to a certain temp and stay there until they are finished. If the temp falls off or you re-roast it affects the flavor fairly adversly.

That's about all I know.
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 02:41 PM   #4
DigitalGuy
Club Member

Rather than re-roast these beans, let them sit for 24 to 48 hours. Beans release gas during the first day or two, and reach their flavor peak after the gas is released. If you can, get some one-way valve bags to store your beans during this resting period - it will allow the gas to release while preventing the beans from going stale by keeping air out. You can get these bags at Sweet Maria's for around fifty cents.

George
Old 03-11-2002, 07:13 AM   #5
Smokin_VI
Herf Meister

You can also roast up a darker batch and blend those into it. Re-roasting won't work. blech.......
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.--Winston Churchill
Smokin_VI is offline   Reply With Quote