Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Ken Burn's Country Music series

I'm enjoying it in the small doses PBS is allowingly me to watch.

Funny, I was born in 1967.

Just about half between the Patsy Cline era and the Tammy Winette eras.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:18 AM   #2
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

I watch it the day after on the PBS website.

I consider myself pretty damned informed about country music, yet I've still learned a little from this series.

It has made me ANGRY at what country music has been bastardized into with NO consideration or even acknowledgement of where it came from.

Too much emphasis on Johnny Cash, too little on Bob Wills' contribution to the roots of country music have been my main complaints so far. Johnny Cash was great, dont get me wrong, but he didn't change country music like many others did. He's a complex character, which is why people revere him so much, but a trailblazer? Hanging out with Bob Dylan and Billy Graham does NOT make you automagically a legend.

Bob Wills was one of the FIRST. Original. A little after Jimmie Rodgers, this Texan Took a little Black music, a little fiddle music, and a whole lot of soul, when soul wasn't really in abundance in 'white' music, and set the music world on its ass for most of 50 years. He set the standard of excellence. He had his demons too, but when he called a band member to solo, that band member learned quickly Bob expected your best, and if you didn't give it you wouldn't be long in his outfit.

Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Buck Owens, and many others knew and many of us all these years later, who KNOW, know. Bob WIlls is STILL the King.

So yeah, I kinda been watching.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Keith, I think they are focusing on Johnny Cash, so much, is because of his total and sustained popularity. Ken Burns knows how to keep an audience. And while you're teaching me a bit about Bob Wills, I do listen to his music pretty regularly, the folks who are coming to this series are going to want to learn tidbits and what-have-you about folks they don't really know, but the cult of media celebrity is money.

And that's, right or wrong, Johnny Cash. Plus, Burns always likes to add in a cautionary tale and redemption, which are big in country music, to start with, and Johnny Cash is the most widely known in all of the national consciousness, not just in country. He is playing on that.

Nearly half of last night's episode was Dolly Parton, along with Willie, Waylon, the outlaw movement, and George Jones.

I have enjoyed this, too.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

My interest in country music pretty much ended in the 80s.

I'm going to have to pull up the entire work off of Passport.

I haven't seen much mention of Hank Snow or Jimmie Rogers.. IMO, those are fundamental to country music too.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
beevod
Herf God

"There stands the glass.." Webb Pierce. Carter family, 1927 to 1933.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Sancho Panza
Floridays
Herf God

I'm on #6.

Watch it on Demand.
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Where? On my streaming services, I have to have a basic membership in order to access it through their PBS Passport app.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #8
Sancho Panza
Floridays
Herf God

Comcast
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
My interest in country music pretty much ended in the 80s.

I'm going to have to pull up the entire work off of Passport.

I haven't seen much mention of Hank Snow or Jimmie Rogers.. IMO, those are fundamental to country music too.
Episodes back. This is typical Burns, very chronological. I think it is episode two that is Jimmie Rogers heavy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
KatDad
Herf God

Actually, the first episode culminated with the origins story the Carter Family and to a greater extent, virtually the entire story of Jimmie Rogers. The episode ended with his death. I truly enjoyed it. Burns has produced another outstanding piece of work.

Jason, put Ken Burns Country Music Documentary in your search engine and then click on the PBS link in the results, when the national PBS home page comes up there's a place to enter your local PBS affiliate (mine is KCPT). From there I could access any episode, one at a time. It will take a while to get through them as each episode is almost two hours long. Worth every minute.

Edit: I guess I should at least mention that this works of you don't mind watching it on you computer which is what I did. I think Keith mentioned the PBS website above.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave

Last edited by KatDad; 09-26-2019 at 01:58 PM.
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote