Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2003, 10:32 AM   #1
LinoD

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Robusto

Hey all, here goes, my first cigar review on CW...

Presmoke: let me start by saying i've had this box of Don Carlos Robusto's aging in my humidor for about four years(this will play i big factor in the taste department), i forgot whether the cigars came with cello on them or not but they haven't had cello on them so that's that.(i usually take the cellophane off all my cigars)... Ok, how does it look, the Robusto is covered in a light brown colored aged Cameroon wrapper, construction is nice with a very well made cap. overall a typically well made Arturo Fuente cigar.

Smoke It: i decided to use a new punch cutter that i purchased this past weekend, i forgot the name of it, but it has four different size blades built in and made of stainless steel...new toy so i had to us it, it made a perfect cut.

After opening the head, i like to put the cigar to my lips before i light it...to see what kind of bite i can expect, this cigar had zero bite.

Onto toasting the tip, toasted the tip and lit this bad boy with cedar matches, she lit perfectly and burned perfectly. i only ashed once, and when the ash feel off, it left a perfect point in the middle of the ashe that was left on the cigar. the draw was perfect, not tight not to easy

OK, what about the taste, well, i think this cigar proves that there's such thing as over aging...im a big fan of full bodied, richly flavored cigars. i'd usually rate most Don Carlos cigar's as mild to medium ...but since this one has been laying for about four years, it really really mellowed out to a point where there were'nt any of the flavors present that i remembered when first smoked this brand off the shelf...dont get me wrong , this is a fine smoke with a very creamy character, i guess last night i was in the mood for something with a little kick...

Verdict:moral of the story is be careful what cigars you age, especially if there a mild cigar to start... in the end, it was a nice smoke and a great excuse to relax for an hour
LinoD is offline   Reply With Quote