Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Breech
Club Member

MAJOR Humi Quandry - Please Advise

All,

I recently bought an aristicrat cabinet and had it, during the winter, sitting in a room on the first floor of my house (dining room). Since it is starting to heat up, and the temp in the cabinet was 75 degrees (or a bit more), I moved it into my basement, which is actually a 4 ft high crawlspace.

When the cabinet was on the first floor, the Rh was very good, about 62% (which is exactly where I like it). Since moving it into the crawlspace, the temp in the cabinet has dropped dramatically, it is now about 61 degrees, but the Rh had JUMPED to 68-69% Rh. I have a dehumidifier running non-stop but its not making a dent (I do not think the crawlspace is totally sealed off from the outside world - only some thick insulation in vents etc...)

So, here is my quandry, do I go with higher temps (watch out beetles!!) with low Rh, or lower temps with higher Rh?

FWIW, I am more sold on the higher temp, lower Rh because that is how I enjoy my smokes, HOWEVER, we really do not run the AC in the summer very cold (maybe 75 degrees or so), so there is no great "cool-off" occurring soon. Lastly, I live in the NE and the summers are humid...

Any thoughts, I am unsure what to do, and I am worried about my investment....

Add'l question: Should I just pull my electronic humidifier out of the humi and see what it does inside?

John
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote