Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 01-13-2003, 07:52 AM   #1
Mysterblues
Club Member

SRV fans

I was fotunate enough to see SRV 5 times, But I'm curious if anyone here knows about the Chris Duarte Group. He's another slinger from Texas that most SRV fans will appreciate. Maduro Later!
Mysterblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
Poohdvm
Club Member

Chris Duarte usually plays Little Rock about every three months or so. I don't know why he hasn't gotten more attention than he has. I have listened to some of his cd's and the do not do justice to his live act. There is another guy from Texas that sometimes plays here with Chris. His name is Wes Jeans. Watch for this kid. He is amazing.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:10 AM   #3
Injun Joe

There was another kid from TX I was wondering about. His name was Ian something or other, I can't remember his last name. He did one of those *Don't Mess With Texas* commercials. I haven't heard anything but the music he did in the commercial but he sounded very good. This was about three or four years ago. Anybody know who I'm talking about.
Injun Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:12 AM   #4
sd_smoker
Club Member

Thanks Mysterblues! I'll have to check him out...
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
sd_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:22 AM   #5
Mysterblues
Club Member

injun joe! you must be refering to Ian Moore. But he's doing mostly acoustic now , it seems. Which is fine. Just a little background on me..I have opened up for Robin Trower, Pat Travers Band, Molly Hatchet, Chris Duarte, Indigenous, Poppa Chubby to name a few. I'd love to hear about other peoples experiences! p.s. new humidor almost seasoned!! Need Cigars for it!! (hint Hint!!)
Old 01-13-2003, 10:26 AM   #6
mannish
Herf God

Chris Duarte has pretty much ventured out of the blues. He was too much over the top for me anyway. A handful can get over the top and still have something to say (SRV is one of those) the others are just playing notes and
they keep 'talking' long after they have said all they san say.

I recommend Albert King "King Of The Blues Guitar" if you like SRV then go
where he went.

I too forgot the Ian guys name also but same as above hasn't got the chops to pull it off like the 'handful'

Anson Funderburg is THE texan you need to check out, all meat and no filler. He doesn't play as much rock as SRV did but Anson is a superb player highly thought of in blues circles. I consider him one of the best white blues players out there.
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 11:02 AM   #7
Mysterblues
Club Member

hey mannish! i like your style! sounds like you know your s*#t! i am very familiar with Albert and Anson. I've been a blues lover for a long time. I also like rock and jazz and quite a bit of other music. I've been diggin Derek Trucks a lot lately. Mainly because of the variety that he plays. I assume Mannish is a Muddy reference? good blues to ya Mann!!
Old 01-13-2003, 11:03 AM   #8
Mysterblues
Club Member

hey mannish! i like your style! sounds like you know your s*#t! i am very familiar with Albert and Anson. I've been a blues lover for a long time. I also like rock and jazz and quite a bit of other music. I've been diggin Derek Trucks a lot lately. Mainly because of the variety that he plays. I assume Mannish is a Muddy reference? good blues to ya Mann!!
Old 01-13-2003, 11:05 AM   #9
Mysterblues
Club Member

Old 01-13-2003, 11:06 AM   #10
Mysterblues
Club Member