Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
N99
Herf Meister

New cigarette warning labels mandated. Cigars next?

Dead Body, Cancerous Lungs to Appear on U.S. Cigarette Packs, FDA Decides

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...next-year.html

Quote:
Quote:
By Molly Peterson - Jun 21, 2011 4:32 AM PT

Images of a corpse and cancerous lungs are among the nine graphic warnings tobacco companies led by Altria Group Inc. (MO) must start placing on cigarette packs sold in the U.S. next year.
The labels, required under a two-year-old tobacco law to convey the health effects of smoking, also include pictures of rotting teeth and a man exhaling smoke through a hole in his neck, the Food and Drug Administration said today on its website. The FDA selected the nine images from 36 it proposed last year.

Cigarettes can’t be sold in the U.S. after Oct. 22, 2012, without the warnings, part of the biggest tobacco marketing rules change in a quarter century. Each pack must carry one of the nine labels pairing images with text such as “Smoking can kill you.” The graphics must cover the top half of the front and back of cigarette packages and 20 percent of print ads.

“These labels are frank, honest and powerful depictions of the health risks of smoking, and they will help,” Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said today in an e- mail. “These labels will encourage smokers to quit and prevent children from smoking.”

U.S. cigarette packs and ads now carry one of four text warnings under a federal law enacted in 1984. The messages include “Cigarette Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide” and “Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, and May Complicate Pregnancy.” They aren’t paired with images.

Canada, the U.K. and Brazil are among countries that require graphic cigarette warnings. One in five Canadian smokers reported smoking less as a result of the graphic labels in a 2004 study of more than 600 people.

Cigarette Makers

Altria’s Philip Morris USA of Richmond, Virginia, the biggest U.S. cigarette maker, broke with rivals Reynolds American Inc. (RAI) and Lorillard Tobacco Co. to back the 2009 tobacco law as a way to standardize manufacturing rules and spur development of less-harmful tobacco products.

Reynolds, based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and Greensboro, North Carolina-based Lorillard are among tobacco companies seeking to overturn the law’s graphic warning-label requirements. Altria isn’t part of the lawsuit.
It’s unconstitutional for the government to “confiscate the top 50 percent of both sides of cigarette packaging and mandate shocking color graphics,” Reynolds and Lorillard said in September in a brief filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in Cincinnati.

More than 20 percent of adults in the U.S., or 46 million people, smoke cigarettes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. Smoking is the biggest cause of preventable death in the U.S., killing about 443,000 people a year, according to the CDC. The Obama administration is pushing to reduce the U.S. smoking rate to 12 percent in a decade.

To contact the reporter on this story: Molly Peterson in Washington at mpeterson9@bloomberg.net
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Adriel Bettelheim at abettelheim@bloomberg.net

I shall not put the wonderful images up that our dear govt will be putting on packs of cigarettes, and I wonder how long before cigar makers will have to put said images of death and destruction full size on boxes of cigars?

Woo

Hoo.

THINK, GADDAMIT!

gone bad (fff)
N99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
hockeymaniac
Herf Meister

Those pictures don't bother me one bit. I watched an autopsy while eating lunch during first responder training. I would hate to see them on cigar boxes only because they would ruin the box. They won't deter me from smoking cigars.

Such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be here

"No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world shits on everybody. Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist."
hockeymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
beevod
Herf God

Why stop, then with cigarettes. How about a 420 pound person on all ice cream, cookie and pizza labels.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
hockeymaniac
Herf Meister

I saw a phot gallery of the labels. They won't work. They are way to tame to scare anybody.

Such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be here

"No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world shits on everybody. Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist."
hockeymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevod View Post
Why stop, then with cigarettes. How about a 420 pound person on all ice cream, cookie and pizza labels.
Truth!
But just as we're all desensitized to Violence on TV, and sex (hubba hubba) in the media, these lables won't deter a thing.
It's more "feel good" nanny state legislation.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
cigarfan
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
It's more "feel good" nanny state legislation.
Like William J. Le Petomaine said...

"Holy underwear! Sheriff murdered! Innocent women and children blown to bits! We have to protect our phoney baloney jobs here, gentlemen! We must do something about this immediately! Immediately! Immediately! Harrumph! Harrumph! Harrumph! "
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Cigary43

They can put whatever they want on cigarette packages...I don't smoke them anyway. If they want to put a picture on cigars...g'head and try to fit it on a cello or put it on the box. I buy singles and 5 paks more than I do boxes and it wouldn't matter if they put dead bodies for pictures...I'm still going to enjoy my cigars no matter. The Anti Smoking Lobby can kiss my a$$.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
jpags

Screw'em, If I was still smoking cigarettes I would just buy a nice cigarette case.

Pags
jpags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Herf
Club Member

A friend of mine brought home a pack of Iranian cigarettes with similar labels on them last year. We are behind the times. I doubt it stops anyone from smoking though.

I see a great opportunity for a revival of cigarette cases.
Herf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #10
tonycsmoke
Club Member

Canada has done this for over a decade and it simply doesn't work. In Ireland they heavily tax all tobacco, a brutal smoking ban and put graphics on cigarette packs. The result is that the smoking rate is going up.

Reminds me of when I was in grade school. I must have been 8 or 9 when a cop came to school to talk about drugs. He pulled out a baggie with something in it. He said that if he just touched this stuff with his finger "you would have to pull me off the ceiling". We were in the gym with very tall ceilings. I remember thinking - it will make you fly. Do tell me more! Where I can I buy this flying stuff.

The more you push people just have a propensity to push back. Hence why even though drugs are illegal most people have tried at least one illegal drug.