Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2002, 02:17 PM   #1
JGIORD
Club Member

I just got in my latest tobacco order, which included this blend that I really wanted to try. It's an unusual blend and cut (a cube cut burley). The smell was fantastic and intoxicating but I was wondering how to go about loading and packing my pipe with this stuff. All of my experience has been with ribbon cuts and a few crumble cakes. Since I wasn't sure how to handle this stuff I emailed Greg Pease on his website. Within minutes I received his response. Talk about customer servie . Anyway here is what Greg had to say:

Quote:
Most report, and my experience agrees, that the best way to fill the pipe with cube-cuts is with gravity, and a very, very light touch. My technique is simple. I'll "sprinkle" the tobacco into the bowl, and give the pipe a few gentle taps on the side with a finger, allowing the tobacco to settle. Repeat until full, then press very gently, much more gently than you would a ribbon cut.

While smoking, don't use much pressure to tamp. The weight of the tamper is probably sufficient.

Cube-cut tobaccos burn slowly, and are wonderfully easy to smoke. Barbary Coast does contain some short ribbon cut tobaccos, but these blend nicely with the cube-cut to help fill in the spaces.

Good luck with the first bowl, and enjoy the tobaccos!

Best,
Greg

--
Gregory Pease
G. L. Pease, Intl.
http://www.glpease.com
Greg is a class act and very customer service oriented. He has a great website too.

I'll post a review on this tobacco later, after I lite some up.