Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 05-10-2003, 09:11 PM   #1
Picante
Starting Member

Reviving Dried Out 'Gars

Hi All,

I know the answer to my question is somewhere here in the CW page, but I have looked and came up short. So I will ask. I had about 40 top notch cigars in a humi in my bedroom for about a year. Now, being that they were top notch, I never smoked any and was saving them for special occasions. Well, as time went by, I realized about six months went by and I had not checked the humidification device and all were dry as the desert. I know they have lost their true flavor now, but what is the best way to revive a dried out cigar?

Thanks in advance for your help,

~~KEEP ON HERFIN'~~
Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:30 AM   #2
JGSa£ty_VI
Club Member

Slowly, Very slowly

I would suggest placing them in a humidor with the proper humidification and let them sit, for at least 2 months. The longer the better.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:37 AM   #3
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Take the time

Yep. Gradual regeneration is definitely the way to go. It's really quite incredible how much aroma and flavour any 'forgotten' cigar can recover under proper humidity and temperature levels. Of course, if you're really keen to smoke one or three earlier than months from now, you might want to do the wet paper towel and zip-lock bag manouvre. But be vigilant, as such a quick fix can prematurely swell fillers and split wrappers.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:45 AM   #4
CgarWyzrd
Club Member

JG,
As was said, start slowly! You will want to start by putting a "FEW" drops of water in your humidifying device. Let them sit in there for a week or so, then add a few more drops. And so on, and so on. They will come back to proper humidity in a few months. After coming to the proper humidity let them sit a while longer before you smoke them.
Good luck.

Steve
"RIP Hoyo#9"

When they repeal the 2nd amendment, that’s when the "2nd Revolution" will begin!
CgarWyzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

if you rush it the cigars will crack or explode... trust me on this one.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 01:49 PM   #6
prflani
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgarWyzrd
JG,
As was said, start slowly! You will want to start by putting a "FEW" drops of water in your humidifying device. Let them sit in there for a week or so, then add a few more drops. And so on, and so on. They will come back to proper humidity in a few months. After coming to the proper humidity let them sit a while longer before you smoke them.
Good luck.

Steve
Agreed except that you should use 50/50 propylene glycol/distilled water NOT just water. Using water by itself will tend to make the humidity too high and you will end up with some rather expensive kindling because the cigars WILL split.
prflani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:41 PM   #7
CgarWyzrd
Club Member

Phil,
You are correct. I just assume if someone is on this board that they would know to "only use distilled water". But I could be wrong.

Steve
"RIP Hoyo#9"

When they repeal the 2nd amendment, that’s when the "2nd Revolution" will begin!
CgarWyzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 06:42 PM   #8
DAFU
Club Member

Picante, I am by no means an expert around here but I recently came across a few pre-embargo Habanos that were dry/unhumidified for who knows how many years. I placed these in my humi, that holds a rock steady 70% RH about 6mos. ago. I recently fired one of these up (F.Lozano petit corona) and it smoked and tasted great! I'm sure yours will do fine with a little TLC, just test 1 every few weeks untill ready. Or you can send them to me and I'll see what I can do!
Old 05-12-2003, 07:55 PM   #9
Picante
Starting Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick response. I spent the whole afternoon Saturday cleaning and re-priming my Humis and cooladoors. I know time heals all wounds, I just hope it revives all cigars. I am sure some of the flavor is gone forever, but better a mild cigar than no cigar at all. I'll let them sit for a few months and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

~~KEEP ON HERFIN'~~
Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
PartagasReserva

very nice.
PartagasReserva is offline   Reply With Quote