Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 02-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Value Brands

good article, no real surprises, but good info

https://www.liquor.com/slideshows/be...29#gs.2w358VlZ

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
beevod
Herf God

I'll second the Old Overholt. It was the first time I ever tasted liquor and I was hooked.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

The Evan Williams black is about as low as I can go. The green label would be better used as NASCAR fuel. Overholt is a good mixing rye, but I don't really think it stands on its own as sipping whiskey.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
SmoKerch
Herf God

I buy the Evan Williams frequently, and the Beefeater Gin about every third or fourth bottle of gin.

I'll try the Overholt next time.

I haven't seen any of the others.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

It's the semi-annual dollar sale at the store here until Saturday.
Overholt is $10. Got 2 bottles of Buffalo Trace for $20 each.

Don't be jealous.
ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Old Overholt is highly regarded by the bartenders I trust most, and it does to me stand on its own

Old Fitzgerald is good stuff especially at the price, I might prefer old granddad 110 more though

Mellow Corn is from Heaven Hill, it gets mixed reviews, I may crack the bottle I have

Beefeater was once upon a time the only gin I drank

Like what you drink, drink what you like

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 03-01-2019, 01:53 AM   #7
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Evan black hits a bit too hard for me, too much burn for a sit and sip. Old fitz was the family whiskey for my mom's siblings, the only thing that they drank, I've had it on a number of occasions and love it for the nostalgia. Never had beefeater, I've never been able to stomach cheap gin, but might try a pint.

I will be trying overholt. I've tried a few rye whiskeys in the recent past and love the stuff now. I'm going to give the corn a try as well.

I never understood the white whisky, never tried it, and it seems to be a faded fad. blended rye, wheat and corn always seems best.

I can't really like jagermeister. I absolutely love benedectine, is there some similarity? it's been decades since I had B and B.

after surfing along some of the recommended links here are other thoughts.

I always wonder about japanese whisky.

Pernod as absinthe is an interesting thing to try.

Never going to try midori.

I still think that I need to try mallort, just to understand it.

St. Germaine is actually quite nice. Too bad that I've only had a 4 ounce.

The thread has forced me to pick up the bottle of evan black that was by my chair and now I'm hitting straight from the bottle. It's not as bad as I always remember it, and I guess I'll hit it until I can get to sleep. it's better than jim beam. I've drunk a lot of jack daniels lately, it seems to be a cheaper alternative than some others, but still, buffalo trace, weller, or wild turkey are preferable at times. When something costs about as much as jamesons, why not keep it on hand?

I hate cuervo, my good luck happened onto hornitos. Better than cuervo.

Svedka vodka must be made with dead squirrel. The stuff tastes like our tap water. It even makes a bloody mary non potable, I spent a month trying to make one for my wife that she would drink, and finally poured the crap out and used absolut.

Jussie whoever really should have tried to throw his life away with a little more dignity, but there are plenty of people who will excuse his bug nugget crazy behavior on the people who drove him to being crazy. the magas.

Sorry, that's the evan williams talking. Never drink whisky from the bottle, despite what kid rock suggests.

Last edited by Briandg; 03-01-2019 at 01:59 AM.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:40 AM   #8
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Midori tastes like honeydew melon. We used to go to a Chinese place in Kenner that gave you a tiny ice cream cone with a scoop of Midori to cleanse the palate. I've never found any place quite like it.

I know, many restaurants offer a palate cleanser. I once read that parsely on a plate wasn't just garnish, but a palate cleanser as well. Can't verify that.

Up until a couple of years ago I recommended Ancient Ancient Age as the best value bourbon on the market. Buffalo Trace mash bill, but not selected for aging into Buffalo Trace. Now that the whiskey boom is upon us, they're not aging it as long as they used to. It tastes completely different now. It's a mixing whiskey now, nothing more.

My vote for a decent bourbon at a value price is Beam white label. There are others in that category and price point, but I like the flavor.

As Jeff says...

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:08 AM   #9
beevod
Herf God

How did Jägermeister make the list?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevod View Post
How did Jägermeister make the list?
as a bitter it is not awful