Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
olotti
Club Member

Bookers...WOW

So per my other thread about high end bourbons seen here http://forums.cigarweekly.com/showthread.php?t=173048 I decided on Bookers as my "special" bourbon treat. So tonight I cracked it open and poured myself about two fingers worth drank neat, I'm new to the bourbon world and have never drank a bourbon with this high of proof, WT 101 is a staple of mine though. After looking over other review websites it was recommended to let it air out for about 20 min so I did taking little sniffs every few minutes. The nose is awesome, nice oak and vanilla, oh and ALCOHOL vapor, lol but pleasing. First initial taste is bourbon fire water, very oakey with a little sugar sweetness and vanilla and then the heat comes rushing in warming all the way down, so this is what true cask strength bourbon is like, damn. Am I ready to say it's the best thing I've ever drank, mmm not yet but again this is a new and different experience for me. I'm impressed that the heat doesn't burn so to speak more warming and the oak finish just lingers but the spice dissipates pretty fast. After about half way I drop in an ice cube and that tames the heat a little but doesn't seem to alter the taste all that much., I'd imagine another cube or two would have some alteration to the big bold flavor but I'm trying to retain that while smoothing the heat a little. Overall I'm happy with my purchase, I get the feeling this is what bourbon is meant to be straight from the barrel to the bottle, pretty cool. This bottle will last me a long time, it's just to strong and pricey to regularly drink so I'll def get my moneys worth out of it. I'm trying to hunt down some Stagg next year and the Bookers has been an eye opening experience which if I'm lucky makes me feel a little more ready for big cask strength bourbons, like Stagg. Thanks to everyone for all the recommendations. Cheers.

"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -Homer Simpson
olotti is offline   Reply With Quote