Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
CSMAnderson
Herf God

Cain Habano

This is another of the new cigars made by Olivia and created By Sam Liccia the creator of the NUB cigars. The Cain Habano I smoked was the 6x54 torp. The binder and filler for this cigar is exactly the same as the Cain Maduro, obviously the only difference being the wrapper.

Prelight - The wrapper was a nice medium brown color with a few small veins. The prelight draw was easy with some wood and chocolate flavors. I also noticed a pepper bite as it rested on my tongue.

Burn/Ash - The burn was perfect and never needed a touch up. Ash was firm with a nice light gray color. The ash stayed for about 2 inches before falling off.

Enjoyment -At the beginning of this cigar, as with the Cain Maduro I found this cigar to be full bodied with heavy pepper and some undertones of wood. There was also a cocoa sweetness but not as noticeable as in the Cain Maduro. The pepper stayed heavy until midway through the cigar. From there on the wood flavor became more pronounced as did the cocoa flavor. I also noticed an earthy flavor hidden in the backround. This cigar was never overpowering or bitter. I would say the Cain Habano is a little harsher that the Cain Maduro, but with some time to rest I think the harshness would dissipate.

Conclusion - As I smoked this cigar I couldn't help but compare it to the Cain Maduro seeing as the only difference is the wrapper. The Cain Habano is a little harsher but overall a good cigar. I was really surprised at how different these two tasted just because of the wrapper change. I have never really believed the wrapper could make up to 60-70% of the flavor in a cigar as I had often heard. But I can now say it does make a big difference. I'd give the nod to the Cain Maduro as to which I liked best. The maduro just seems to be more refined and smoother.
CSMAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote