Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

A sad day in the gumby household

The Poppery that I bought for $2 and have used since I started roasting coffee over a decade ago finally gave up the ghost.
I've had to break out my $5 backup Poppery and now only have a Poppery II in reserve.
Drink a cup of good java to a roasting machine's great contributions to fine coffee.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
scubadoo97
Club Member

My condolences
Old 04-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Robert, if you can figure out what part caused the failure, I can most likely send you a replacement. My old Popperys don't get tossed, they get torn down for parts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
spiridon
Herf God

Gumby, sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like you certainly got your money's worth out of that one though!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
gumby
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
Robert, if you can figure out what part caused the failure, I can most likely send you a replacement. My old Popperys don't get tossed, they get torn down for parts.
I actually thought of you Doug and thought "there's no way I am throwing this baby out." It was taking for ever to heat up and never got beans to second crack even after 15 minutes.
But here's the weird thing: the replacement did the same thing. The only change today was that because of the rain I was using a different plug with a long extension cord. So I'm hoping that when I am able to again just plug it in without an extension cord that will resurrect it. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Interesting side note: the Poppery I've been using has a brown on/off switch to match the back plate. The replacement looks identical with the exception that the on/off switch is white. Probably no way of knowing but it makes me wonder what year each was made.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

That may very well be the problem right there, Robert. OPs pull 1500w, which is a hell of a lot of current to suck through a typical extension cord. Bet you'll find the issue resolved when you're back to working without the current drop you'll have gotten from the cord.

Question: Did you happen to touch the extension cord after the OP had been running for a while? If so, I bet you'll have found it to be pretty hot...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
gumby
Contributing Editor
Herf God

It was indeed

Thomas Jefferson