Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #11
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandg View Post
How much for the cap?

I think you mean "how much for that crap?"
Old 02-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #12
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Bolivar made a cigar--many years ago--called the Gold Medal. It came partially wrapped in gold foil. They did a reissue about 20 years ago and I was fortunate to have smoked one. Sancho gifted it to me at a herf.
I can neither confirm nor deny that I may have a few boxes of that second release laid down and aging quietly...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

If you find one in your humi, smoke it and let me know if age has helped it.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #14
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

in the end the free market will handle the pricing - either they sell a 1000 dollar glass of lemonade or they sell a lot of dollar glasses of lemonade or they go out of business or they explain to the board/owners why they had a bad year

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #15
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

The beautiful thing about offering up $1,000 cigars is that for every one they sell they will earn a $990 profit, and every one they don't sell they can scrape clean and reband, then sell as a bundle, banded "dumpster diver's dream" and still make a buck or two on them.

I am not sure how they will work that into a loss that can be put on the taxes and balance sheet, but if there is a way, it can be done.

They could always figure out how to write it off as depreciation of value of inventory, maybe, considering it as depreciating 10% annually and taking it off of net profits that way.

If you look at hansotia and gurkha, the one thing that is certain is that he is still a big damned player in the cigar business and a wealthy man. Selling ten thousand dollar cigars to sheiks once in a while gets him notoriety and gathers scorn from many others, but it keeps him in the public eye.

The other day I bought a gurkha knife from JR. The thing was ten bucks, after seeing them ten or more years, I finally had to try one.

Oh, gee, I used it to trim a root on a bush. It wouldn't cut, and actually folded and collapsed the edge. It took me well over an hour to profile the edge a little better, and cut out the nick. I was afraid to strop it.

I gave it to my son in law last night.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:44 AM   #16
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

so, in conclusion, marketing is a scam for many cigars, and many cigars are overpriced, and 1000 dollar glasses of lemonade abound, but you don't have to bite or buy or drink.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 02-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #17
beevod
Herf God

But, the thousand dollar glass of lemonade, as well as the cigar, have been clinically shown to lessen your bank account.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #18
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Not everyone can be penny wise. Nor should they want to be, I guess.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #19
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandg View Post
Not everyone can be penny wise. Nor should they want to be, I guess.
well said P T

Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #20
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Someone will buy the $1000 cigar company and vow to improve sales, then they will announce they need to improve inventory turns based on a report from a consultant... hilarity will ensue