Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 11-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Montegrl
Club Member

McCallen Cask Strength

My hubby, who apparently is starting to understand me a little better, got this for me sometime last year. Begs to be opened over the holidays as Im now able to enjoy such things again. Anyone tried it ? I'll try and do some kind of review.
I was dissapointed to find out some time ago that the regular McCallen line formula was changed. For the better ? I really enjoyed the 12yr. Very nice with a Boli as I recall. Been a while.
Montegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegrl View Post
Anyone tried it ?
Definitely in the cabinet and on tap! My take on it reads as follows...

Macallan Cask Strength – 58.1%

Ostensibly a melding of whiskies of around a decade or so of maturity. Deep amber gold tone. A surging bouquet of apple-raisin pie followed by ripples of vanilla-infused oak and orange zest. Essence of grape married to barley malt on the palate. Some demurely spiced oak darts about the perimeter of the fruit-grain concentrate prior to the spirit biting back. Perhaps lacks the added complexity that greater age might confer. Even so, the most characterful and, to my taste, the best Sherry-casked Macallan I’ve come across of late. A drop or two of water works wonders with this one.

As to changes in the Macallan lineup, I'm only aware that the Fine Oak series (aged in both ex-Sherry and ex-Bourbon wood - a definite departure from the traditional all-Sherry cask regimen the distillery had previously promoted) has been added to the range.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
aaronb

I like it a lot. Since Glenmorangie has gone up about 15 bucks over the past few years, this one is fighting Glenmorangie for the 40-50 whisky catagory in my bar. Very different whiskies, though.
aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
OregonDuck
Club Member

Smile

I love it. Amazingly smooth. When sipped neat, my mouth is unaware that it is such high proof but my brain sure finds out quickly.
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDuck View Post
Amazingly smooth. When sipped neat, my mouth is unaware that it is such high proof...
Funny how individuals' tastes differ. For me, the sip-it-neat single malt in this particular flavour spectrum (100% Sherry cask matured) category is definitely Aberlour a'bunadh.

But I wouldn't add TOO much water to either in any case!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
ElkTwin

I like it, but I find it to be less refined and slightly less enjoyable than the a'bunadh. With the 10% discount for buying in bulk, we can get the Aberlour for $60 a bottle or so here including tax.