Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
CigarDaddy

Cuesta-Ray Centro Fino No.60 Toro

Cigar: Cuesta-Rey Centro Fino No.60 Sungrown Toro (6x50)
Environmental
Temp: 42 F
RH: 38%
Wind: None to speak of

I’ve had this stick in my humidor for about 2 months now, and decided that since it was such a nice day today I’d treat myself to this cigar. As a newcomer to the wonderful world of cigars this was my very first sungrown wrapped cigar. It looked wonderful as I slid it out of the cellophane, the medium brown of the wrapper and the slightly bumpy texture made for a very good pre-smoke impression. Like it or not I remove the bands before I smoke my cigars, and this one was no exception. The one notable thing this time however was that the smaller secondary band did take a little of the wrapper with it. It was so small that I really don’t believe it had any impact on my smoking, and certainly not on my enjoyment.

Using my trusty guillotine cutter, I with the skill of a natural surgeon (actually it was more like a lucky cut of a ham fisted n00b) cut the head. Then as you all know I proceed to light this fine specimen of a cigar. While the initial light went without incident it soon became apparent that I was going to have a burn issue, as a matter of fact this burn issue would persist throughout the smoke. It seemed to be rolled too tightly on one side and despite two attempts to cut the ash and non-burning portion it just wouldn’t burn evenly. This did dampen my enjoyment of the cigar somewhat but I plodded along smoking it.

While I wish my pallet could pick up on all of the nuances’ of this, and future, cigars it’s just not the case. I did however pick up a distinct spiciness followed by a more earthy taste and this I enjoyed throughout the side of the cigar I actually got to smoke.

All in all I enjoyed this cigar very much and it came in at a very nice medium strength and is on my “try again list”. I'm chalking up the burn issue to just a bit of bad luck and hope any future stick won’t have the same problem.

What do you hear?
Just the Rain.
Then grab your gun and bring in the cat!

Last edited by CigarDaddy; 01-13-2010 at 07:20 PM.
CigarDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote