Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Smile La Aurora Puro Vintage 2003 Salomones

I first saw this Big Puppy at the Cigar Lounge, today!

It's a Monster Perfecto alright, 7 1/2 x 58!

It is packaged in snazzy boxes of 8.

The blerb on the street is that these use tobacco from the 2003 harvest. The tobacco is aged, then rolled.

Price is over $20 each, plus tax.

This is a BIG Cigar.

The sturdy Ecuadorian Wrapper is Clean and Toothy. The oily medium dark color is consistent down to the foot, where it appears to have an extra wrap to clean it up. Not much aroma coming off this Glossy Beast at rest.

After clipping the head, I tested the draw and it was nice for a Perfecto of this size. The foot is not closed so that helped.

Well Hells Bells Boys, Let's light this Sucker UP!

I bring in the Big Gun for the honors. My new Master Welder table torch! (Thanks, Mark RDKING )

As It comes to life the flavor is quite tame out of the gate.
On the second and third draw, more flavor develops. It has a distinctive woody taste with a warm cedar backing. It's a loooooong draw to the back.
Once You reach the full diameter (about one inch) the draw eases up, and the flavors come alive. Twang arrives to the Party! A Nice Leather and Cedar mouth watering taste.
I would be interested in knowing when these were rolled. The little info that I have found say's that production is limited to only 12,000 units. That's cigars, not boxes. So, my math puts it at 1500 eight count boxes.
Even with the rather steep per unit price and the very large size, La Aurora still should move them in short order.

At the one hour mark I'm still at 5 1/2 inches!
Slow and steady burn. The large ring aids that time factor.
This is a Big slow smoke, well mannered and smooth. Not a rough spot anywhere.

I'm pairing this marathon smoke with Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum a 90 proof carmel colored spirit. It's not particularly smooth but the spice and then the extra Kick make a nice companion for this Long Haul Puffer!

The burn in the first 1 1/2 was a bit wobbly, but self correcting. The draw is still good. A touch of oil hit the head so I gave her a shallow clip. The Power level is slowly creeping up and a new white pepper spice appears in the profile. This is a quality and quantity cigar. Near the 2 hour mark and still I have 4 inches too go. No need to rush this beauty. Flavor continues to elevate into the spicy range and my tongue is tingling.
The final third has really ramped up the flavor and power. It is a completely different cigar than the first 2/3rds. I like that in a cigar!
Loads of flavor and variety. This is not the kind of everyday smoke, it's a special event smoke.

This is a Very Good cigar, plenty of flavors and substantial transitions. This can only improve with age. This is the kind of cigar that reminds you why You love Handmade cigars.

Right at 3 hours I retire it to the tray.

If You happen across these do Yourself a big favor and pick up a couple.

Good Stuff!

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody

Last edited by bsslack; 11-24-2008 at 08:55 PM.
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote