Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
BigOleChet
Club Member

Dark Side of the Moon: Your First Listen

I first heard this album in its entirety while skipping school in 1974. A few of us ended up at a friend's house, smoked some Mohican (or whatever they called the ditchweed du jour), and listened. Wow. We also listened to "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys". I was never the same.
BigOleChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

Saw Pink Floyd play DSOTM at the Cow Palace in San Francisco April 13, 1975.

The playlist:

1. Raving and Drooling
2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 1 - 5
3. Have A Cigar
4. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 6 - 9

Intermission

1. Speak To Me
2. Breathe
3. On The Run
4. Time
5. The Great Gig In The Sky
6. Money
7. Us and Them
8. Any Colour You Like
9. Brain Damage/Eclipse

Encore

1. Echoes

Great show!
My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Huey
CW's Shark Wrangler
Herf God

I like the music, but when I hear, "This is sooooo much better when you're stoned," I shrug.

I love Pink Floyd, but my two favorites are A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
gui_tarzan
Herf God

I was with friends in an altered state sometime around 1979. I think. Anyway, I love most of Pink Floyd's music but you don't have to be stoned to appreciate it. David Gilmore's guitar playing is filled with emotion.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
BigOleChet
Club Member

I wrote that it was 'ditchweed', so we probably weren't stoned, but just thought we were.

Anyway, it was a memorable experience only because of the music. The engineering and mix still stand up well in the digital age.
BigOleChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
sd_smoker
Club Member

Re: Dark Side of the Moon: Your First Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChet
A few of us ended up at a friend's house, smoked some Mohican (or whatever they called the ditchweed du jour),
Labrador?

This will expose my youth, but I came across a box of LP's buried in the back of my dad's closet one day. I had a stereo with a record player on it so I figured I'd see what the old man used to listen to. There was some Eagles, EL&P, ELO, and... Dark Side of the Moon. The album cover immediately stood out from the others so I was already intrigued when I put it on. I sat there on my bedroom floor and listened to the whole thing, which is pretty impressive given my attention span at that age. It even had the old blacklight poster of a pyramid on the moon still inside!
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
sd_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 AM   #7
mojoe
Herf God

I like most PF albums but my fav is Animals...I could listen to that three or four times in a row before I get tired of it....
Old 08-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
Bluespicker

Back in the old days I bought the latest PF LP as soon as they were released. Don't listen to PF anymore though.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
geoffrie

The hair on the back on my neck still stands up during The Great Gig in the Sky.

I saw Roger Waters tour with Radio CHAOS and he brought Clare Torry on stage to perfom Great Gig in the Sky. I had always imaged her as a large black women a la Mavis Staple. Good not believe such big sounds could come from such a petite woman.
geoffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
JerseyDevil65
Rangers Superfan
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe
I like most PF albums but my fav is Animals...I could listen to that three or four times in a row before I get tired of it....
Animals is a great album.

Great band that went to shit after Roger Waters left.
JerseyDevil65 is offline   Reply With Quote