Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2022, 04:52 AM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

RyJ glass jar humidor

Got this along with a bunch of well aged Fuentes and Newmans and snacks from a very good and generous friend.

Think its really cool, and the details in the paint of the iconic RyJ scene is just amazing. Surprisingly seems to seal quite well so far, but will be monitoring with my Boveda Butler for a while until I learn how it acts since its my first glass jar humidor ever, and a fine example at that. Did some Googling and they seem to go for roughly what I expected, which is WELL above the $5 he paid at a yard sale for it as a prop for his photography business.

Held 30, 50 to 60rg, 5 to 7" smokes. Filled it with all different singles from cigars he sent, plus from my big monthly order of almost all samplers of 1 or 2, of all different marcas and vitolas, that arrived yesterday.

No idea on age, but based on some photos online of them, the tarnish on the metal clips seems to indicate a fair bit of age. Hard to tell just from pictures though.

If anyone knows anything about these specifically or glass or ceramic jars in general I would love to hear your knowledge.

Thought it was worth sharing with everyone.

ETA:
So far have found that they may have been made in the Dominican Republic, and originally held Churchill En Tubos.

Made for the non-Cuban RyJ brand or outsourced production by Cuba?

The nc RyJ does make an 1875 Churchill En Tubo, but Cuba also has a tubo Churchill. So the mystery deepens...

The brass is heavily tarnished indicating some decent age, but the thin leather carry strap is very soft and no cracking, like would happen with significant age.

Found a Cuban H.Upmann version that is similar with leather strap and same brass clips, listed as 1960's pre-embargo.

I'm leaning towards it being at least a little bit vintage Cuban humidor/jar based on what I'm seeing online but not finding any specifically described as either Cuban or non-Cuban for the same RyJ jars, only the similar Upmann has any date attached which doesn't really help very much.

A search on cubancigarwebsite.com for RyJ 25 and 50ct glass jars came up empty.

I friggin love cigars

Last edited by smbauerllc; 09-15-2022 at 06:13 AM.
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote