Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
mrkmitch
Club Member

"Vintage" Bucanero Clasico Maduro Robusto

I recently had the opportunity to pull an 8 year old Clasico Maduro Robusto from the first box of Bucanero's I purchased. I was rummaging through a long term storage cooler-dor, pulling out some smokes to celebrate my brother's reachiong of the half century mark and found my cedar SLB of Buc Robustos with a "received" date of 4-2002 marked on the bottom. I had pulled smokes, occasionally, from this over the years, but there are still about 15-18 robustos left in the box. What I treat...

The pre light aroma was sweet grass with hints of nutmeg. The band slipped right off the end of the cigar, and the easy cut was clean and straight. The first few draws produced mountains of azure-white smoke with flavors of toasted tobacco, sweet herbs and leather.

The burn was sharp and straight, never requiring a touch up. Flavors developed into creamy nuances of creamed coffee, woody leather and an undercurrent of sweet herbs and cinnamon. Flavor development continued, provideing very satisfying and smooth notions of expresso with a heavy cream froth, nutmeg, sweet wood and leather, all the while still producing enormous volums of thick billows of smoke. The flavors were enhanced by the extremely smooth and creamy taste and texture of the smoke rolling across my pallete. The rich smoothness of this cigar was incredible, and I can't help but think they will continue to get "better" for awhile yet.

This is why I just love these cigars, and now my long term sortage experience has further cemented them into the top notch of my preferences. Like I said, these are my oldest Bucs in storage, but this tells me I need to start putting some more of these CM goodies away. I've also have "Salsa", "Full Sail", and some "Peg Legs" put away in long term storage also, but none with this vintage on them. What a wonderful smoking treat, and an appropriate way to help celebrate the end of the first half of my brother's century.

Thank you Robert (and Johnny) for finding Don Douglas when you did, and the endless task of tasting and testing blend after blend to provide us with an outstanding and most enjoyable smoke.