Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 07-13-2022, 04:11 AM   #1
jeepdad
Club Member

Where All My Sushi Lovers

We have a place in town that is quality stuff. The owner is a genuinely nice and very talented sushi chef. We will go in at times with several couples and tell him "make us something" and not only will it be incredibly artful but delicious as well. Love places where the chef is unafraid to go off script and be creative. Every sushi raunt I go to I always ask "what's not on the menu"? And the few times there is an answer it's always fun and tasty.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:38 AM   #2
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

I'm a huge seafood fan, especially having grown up in Michigan plus obviously being stationed on both coasts and the Gulf in Florida in the navy, so i have had lots of quality, same day fresh seafood, but sushi just didn't do it for me.

Mostly was the texture. Just found it a little off-putting, but the taste really didn't do it for me either.

I'm assuming it was good, fresh stuff, as i tried it on a trip to Seattle at a pretty nice restaurant while stationed on Whidbey Island.

I friggin love cigars
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:51 AM   #3
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

I likes my sushi southern-fried. With some hush puppies on the side.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

We're fortunate to have an excellent husband & wife run Japanese restaurant just 'down the street' that offers up some of the best sushi and tempura in town.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:03 AM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post
I likes my sushi southern-fried. With some hush puppies on the side.
I've not been really introduced to the full world sushi, but I've seen enough parasites in the gills of fish I've landed out of the Gulf that the idea doesn't appeal to me. Tempura is closer to my speed. It's an association thing I guess. Plus, crispy textures appeal to me much more.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:47 AM   #6
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

I love it and have a few spots around around Rock and also in Cozumel that we go to. Just around the corner from our place is Cozumel Dreaming, a sushi place opened by expats. They have an extensive menu but their clams to fame is the all you can eat option for 420 pesos or 20$. You get an hour to eat anything on their menu, with a few items limited to one. It seems like a good deal considering the rolls we get at the beach club are 220p. Been open and busy for the last five years we have walked by it just haven’t made it in yet to try. Down for three weeks this month so I’m thinking this will be the time to go!
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:16 PM   #7
DSturg369
Club Member

We eat sushi about once a month now. More often during months with a "r" in them... Once a week usually. Several spots locally we go to, depending on the variety of sushi rolls we want at the time.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:10 AM   #8
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Last edited by smbauerllc; 02-07-2023 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Oops
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote