Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2005, 01:01 AM   #14
Steve_G1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_smoker
Before I moved into my current house I was regularly seeing 80+ degrees inside the house so I built a fridgador out of necessity. Luckily and friend of mine's grandma had an old 40's/50's style GE fridge just gathering dust in her backyard that she was more than happy to give me. Luckily it still ran great even after being neglected for so many years. It took some elbow grease, but all the work was cosmetic.

As far as temp and humidity, here's what I've learned based my experience.

For temp control, you can't beat an inexpensive thermostat desiged for home brewers when they need to maintain a certain temp range for a beer they're brewing. Here's the one I have and it works perfectly. You plug this unit into the wall and then plug the fridge into it. There's a probe that goes inside the fridge to measure temp. When the temp gets above the level you indicate, the unit kicks the fridge on until it drops about 10 degress and then shuts it off. I have mine set to keep it between 62 and 72 degrees.

Humidity control is a little trickier, at least at first. When I first got it set up I only had a few boxes in it and the RH would not stay below 75 or 80%. I found something called Driz-Air (or something) at Home Depot that wicks the moisture out of the air and that helped some. I quickly noticed that the more boxes I added, the lower and more steady the RH was. I finally got all the empty boxes I could find and BINGO! Rock solid 68% RH. I've since filled it up with full boxes and it's still going strong. It is by far the most maintenance free cigar storage arrangement I've ever seen. I use Climmax beads and I litterally NEVER have to do anything.

Here are some pics:

Before

After (closed)

After (open)
Very nice. Thanks for the info. That's a good place for me to start when I get home.

Winners never quit, and quitters never win!!
Steve_G1 is offline   Reply With Quote