Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
red
Herf Meister

Review: new Pearl Jam...spoiler if you're GlassJapan maybe.

So, I managed to get the new album five days before it comes out tomorrow. Self titled album, otherwise known as the avacado album because that's the only thing on the album cover. First, I am a little disturbed by the "band photo" on the inside of the cover. I don't have my scanner here, and you are all probably better off. It is comprised of some "art" of their heads all bloodied coming out of what appears to be a uterus. It's disgusting. So, I then ventured on to the album. First song is Life Wasted. Very good song. Very well written. rocker. World Wide Suicide is VERY political. The album itself is rather. I'll leave it at that. Don't want this to go to OCR. However, if you love GW, you aren't a Pearl Jam fan probably anyway. Marker in the Sand is an absolutely beautiful song in all regards in MHO. Some will be offended, as it is basically calling God out about what is going on in the world. However, I believe it is viable to question sometimes, so I am alright with it. It WILL offend the legalist crowd, trust me. The other songs haven't grown on me yet. Parachutes is good, just different. This album is, I believe, the first not produced by Brendan O'Brian, and it shows. It's a totally different sound for PJ. It's them, just a totally different take on their sound. Thankfully, IMHO, background vocals are back. Mike McCready has a ripping shred solo on one song. Can't remember which one right now. THe man still has chops. There are a couple of songs that really remind me of the band even before the Ten days. Lots of punk, and anger. To me, this is their opus. Everything they stand for, whether you like it or not, is here. I feel this may be their last album together. It's a great way to go if it is. It is much like their first album in that it's angry, pessimistic, pissed off, and generally very dark. I feel it's what has been missing from their sound for a while, however it's very mature compared to Ten or VS. If you halfway like PJ, or have never listened to them, give it a listen. I think it's a love it or hate it albums. Probably not much middle on this one. Sorry to be so long winded, but I could have gone on a lot more. In case you couldn't guess, I'm a PJ whore!!
You guys must be tonguing the hole or something...Smokerch
red is offline   Reply With Quote