Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Why jawbreakers?

Some interesting stuff came up in the "Cigars you'd like to see" thread, but wasn't exactly on topic. Still and all, I think it's fodder for discussion, so here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
I really think the jawbreaker serves two purposes. In my estimation it allows so much more leaf in the blend, and gives the blender more opportunity to create a unique flavor profile. Of course, not all blenders are up to the task, but I can see this line of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam2 View Post
I enjoy the CAO LX2 in the lancero size..That size intensifies every aspect of the cigar for me...

Those two points of view neatly summarize the "fat vs. thin" ring gauge conundrum. I have heard the "more leaves=more opportunity to blend in complexity" line of reasoning stated as fact by dozens, maybe hundreds, of cigar smokers. Problem is, I have yet, in my own personal experience, to find a single example where that is actually true. The jawbreakers (to me, any parejo > 52 RG) I've smoked have been uniformly bland, and generally plagued by loose draws. None has ever rivaled the thinner RG cigars I've smoked from the same lines in terms of flavor profile interest or complexity.

On the other hand, Sam's characterization of a lancero "[intensifying] every aspect of the cigar" jives perfectly with my own experiences. I've heard people talk about thin cigars (to me, anything < 40 RG) as being more "focused" or "intense" than big ring models, and I tend to agree. I have seen more tight draws with thin cigars than I have with fatties, but that's another topic.

In any case, I've come to think that the people who blend big RG cigars get lazy because they do have more leaves to work with. OTOH, the folks who blend thin cigars act like they have to work harder to create complex, interesting flavor profiles.

Of course, I could be biased by my own dislike of jawbreakers, so I'll add that as a disclaimer.

Discuss!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote