Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Scotch whisky epiphany

I had always heard that a touch - as in a few drops - of good water would "open up" the flavors of a good whisky. Since I'm mostly a bourbon guy and I actually like my bourbon neat, I never tried adding water to my whisky.

Until tonight.

I begin to understand.

Being ever an experimentalist, I poured a wee dram of the Balvenie Triple Cask I brought back from my last London trip. Swirl-sniff-swirl-sniff...savored the aromas before taking a sip...rolled it around in my mouth to coat my tongue, inhaled through my mouth then exhaled through my nose, really reaching for the flavor nuances before swallowing.

Then I added a half-dozen drops of clean well water (excellent, no chlorine), swirled to mix well, and repeated. Aromas and flavors both intensified. New essences in the mix...subtle spice notes that I had not gotten before while the earthy, honeyed notes deepened, the changes in the nose especially prominent.

As I type this out, I can hear jazznut laughing. "Took ya long enough, ya idjit! " Yep...no denying that.

Clearly, more experiments are called for.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote