Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Illusione M-7 .....Magdala

I've been waiting to enjoy this cigar.

CIGAR: ILLUSIONE M7 6 1/2X 58 Perfecto, aka The MAGDALA.

APPEARENCE: A sweet looking Perfecto of substantial size. The coloring is a dark flat Ruddy hue. The factory website calls it Cafe`Colorado.

CONSTRUCTION: The wrapper has large veins but very smooth texture. This big perfecto has a Large Foot peaking at 58 ring and tapering down to around 48, just in front of the sharply tapered head. There are no discern-able soft spots or spongy radius's. It appears to be a well constructed Shape.

PRE-LIGHT: The Aroma coming off the wrapper is of clean spice and fresh tobacco, that works for me.

PREP: I snip off a third of an inch with a guillotine cutter. The draw is snug, not unusual with a Perfecto shape. That should open up after lighting. Not much flavor on the dry draw. Next!

PAIRING: This is a healthy sized smoke so I anticipate a long smoke. I'll go with a nice Domestic Lager to be safe. Plus it's a warm day here, so I'll want to wet my whistle regularly.

SETTING: My living room watching the New Hamster NASCAR race.

THE DANCE: I top off my glass and reach for my trusty Lotus table lighter, then the Music starts.
I grace the foot with a touch of fire and Gently breath life into Her. A bit of effort is rewarded with a nice spice note, to begin.
The first two puffs are mostly Wrapper, just a touch of sweetness is imparted. Halfway to the full diameter the draw opens up and reveals a Wonderfully clean Tobacco taste, the hint of sweetness is still there too.
There is a really nice flavor filling my entire mouth.
I had not read any reviews or had any idea what to expect from this cigar.
Yesterday i spent 3 hours smoking the Illusione no.1 a 9 1/4 x 48 a Monster of a cigar! I like them Full Bodied and the Dark Knight very nearly kicked my azz.
So, I was unsure what this Magdala had in store for me.

I'm at the full diameter of this Beauty right now. The woody tobacco taste is warm and long lasting on the palate. The word that comes to mind is Clean. Right now it is Light to medium bodied, with great Flavor. It reminds me of another cigar that I had several years ago. Oddly that was a Montecristo A from a exotic locale.
The burn wobbles a bit but never out of control or requiring an adjustment.

The name of this smoke kinda puzzled me when I first saw it. Magdala IE: Mary Magdala of religious/history fame. At first blush it seems odd, but now that I have experienced this Classy smoke it makes more sense. A Clean Clear Tobacco Experience. No funny flavors, no odd characteristics, just a great High Quality smoke.

At 2 inches in the flavor is rock solid and light on the palate. Here's an unusual note, the flavor in the mouth is more pronounced than the initial taste on the tongue, still with "just a hint" of sweetness. I open up the head with a little snip at the top,

I could see a lot of Davidoff or Ashton Ct Shade smokers and Brothers whom prefer a milder profile liking this A Lot. This is a very interesting cigar. It is a very cool smoking with little smoke at anytime. The ash is medium gray and flaky. It still has that slight variance in the burn, but it was never out of bounds.

At nearly three inches in, She gives a warm rush of Peaty flavor adding to the mix. It's a nice dimension change to an otherwise stable flavor profile. The power level stays light.

This smoke was steady for the balance of the smoking experience.

Well this Girl was steady all the way.

CONCLUSION: I normally do not care for the milder smokes, but this particular one was so consistent and stable I enjoyed it very much. Definitely a quality product. It certainly was the mildest Illusione that I have ever had. The cigar's dark wrapper seems to be the source of the light sweetness. The only detraction was a slightly inconsistent burn.
It's not something I would regularly smoke, but I can think of several Brothers whom should try this Quality Cigar.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote