Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 06-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #791
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I'm sure the flavors were great. What is remarkable to me is the presentation. I'm doing a stir fry tonight myself.

Do you have a special burner rig? The hotter you can get that wok, the better the product. Your presentation is really impressive. Mine are tasty, but I never make much of a presentation.

Want to swap some recipes?

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

Last edited by BigO; 06-19-2019 at 02:41 PM.
BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #792
Shadow
Charter Member
Herf Meister

Red beans and rice.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #793
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Red beans and rice.
Always a favorite of mine, though my last couple of batches haven't been so good.

Try adding a teaspoon or so of baking soda to your soaking beans. It helps break down the skins and results in a creamier pot. The beans are better able to release their starches that way. I've also found that they seem much less flatuent that way.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #794
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I'm sure the flavors were great. What is remarkable to me is the presentation. I'm doing a stir fry tonight myself.

Do you have a special burner rig? The hotter you can get that wok, the better the product. Your presentation is really impressive. Mine are tasty, but I never make much of a presentation.

Want to swap some recipes?
Thanks! As far as presentation goes, my little one decided to grow her own mung been and other sprout verities. So those as well as some garlic chili oil (there’s a post on the blog on how to do this that sounds amazing) are the only garnishes I add. They taste even better than most far eastern food I’ve ever had ie takeout. All the recipes came from the blog I posted. I really couldn’t tell you how I found it, what time it was (I’m in #summertimemike no school mode). All I know is that I couldn’t put the iPad down and kept reading that blog and the next think I know there are amazon packages with cooking ingredients showing up at my door lol. They made it sound easy enough to make the recipes if you had the right stuff, so I figured I’d be half way there.

In the outdoor kitchen I have a built in side burner that gets hella hot that I’m using. I also have a blichmnanburner for my beer brewing and seafood boils that I could use. Specs on that are 80,000 - 140,000 btus. And hear I’m thinking shit sure happens fast on the sideburner lol. Maybe I will try to use the big burner the next cook on a half batch of something and then switch to the countertop burner for comparison on taste.....

When I feel good about this style cooking I would like to get good at pizza....but I have a ways to go.

Last edited by mike s; 06-19-2019 at 06:59 PM.
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:53 AM   #795
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Even with just a $4 pizza stone on the Weber, you can get amazing results.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:51 AM   #796
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

RIBS! Boston butt roast, macaroni salad and a few beans. Fresh peach crumble with whipped cream for dessert. A batch of Jimmy Dean clone breakfast sausage from the trimmings.

The gas ovens are really heating up the kitchen.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #797
Shadow
Charter Member
Herf Meister

Boneless chicken breast with tiki marsala sauce, fresh green beans with shredded turkey wing meat and onions and corn on the cob. For dessert homemade peach ice cream.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #798
Ted
Club Member

Tri tip steaks, steamed broccoli + sweet corn, baked potato. With a soft '16 Cotes du Rhone (Costco).
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #799
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Tonight’s wok meal was garlic ginger chicken with asparagus and green peppers in a brown sauce over noodles. Yup it was great

mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #800
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Shrimp stuffed mirlitons and corn on the cob. Mirliton is the Cajun name for chayote squash. It's also known as an alligator pear, because the bottom of the squash resembles an alligator's closed jaw. I haven't made this dish in ten years.

Unborn lives matter too.