Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Breech
Club Member

My weekend...

Thought this might be a better place for all of this:

OK, since the family is aware, this mouse will play....

Friday Eve:
1. Sanco Panza Belicoso - with Iced-Tea. Pre-light had a great draw, and a ntte of spice. Once lit, slight pepper again w/ a shot of salt that faded after 2 draws or so. 1st third - vegetal, 2d third - leather and slight coffee, final third - spiciness (muted like cinnamon or nutmeg, not jalapeno). Score: 8 out of 10 - medium-bodied.

2. HdM (thanks TP) Petit Robusto - with Iced-Tea again. Again great pre-light draw, with cocoa. Explosion of spice upon lighting, which then muted in a couple of minutes, and this cigar had a very long finish. 1st half - straight tobacco and that spiciness (again like nutmeg), 2d half - cocoa comes to the front again and that spiciness now is encroaching the jalapeno spiciness. This cigar surprised me, was expecting the HdM lightness, and this thing is a great powerful cigar that made the Sancho seem even less medium bodied. Score: 8.5/10 - medium-full bodied.

Saturday (so far):
1. Montecristo White Esp #1 - with Coffee this morn. Pre-light easy draw, and straight tobacco, however I do not know if it's the light wrapper or what, but I expected a mild cigar, even though a lot of shops define it anywhere from a Med to a Med-full cigar. In short, I was not overtly excited by this cigar. 1st third - leather and a sweetness I cannot explain. 2d third - leather is the predominat flavor, final third - leather still, and tobacco. Nothing to write home about. Score: 6/10 - mild-med bodied.

3 more for later. I will update these later today.

Saturday (con't):
2. Upmann Monarch - w/ Iced Tea. In short, vegetal (like celery ??) at first, then coffee, cedar and leather, with the leather going all the way to the end. This baby was smooth, almost creamy in its texture. Score: 7.5/10.

3. EO 601 Habano Robusto - w/ Old Speckled Hen and a Yuengling Black and Tan. Strong pepper on the pre-light draw, yet once I lit it, the wrapper split with an audible "pop"! Heavy leather, earth and fresh-ground black pepper. It was also reminiscent of red meat, really full-bodied. Score: 7/10

4. JdN Antano Consul - with TF LBV port. Pre-light draw was chock full of a spiciness that tingled on the tongue. This cigar is a tongue-coater, that combines strength and smoothness almost unparalleled! This is the long finish king that was a full onslaught of earth, black and thick!! What a great cigar. Score: 8/10

Sunday (so far):

1. La Rosa Cubana robusto (small boutique in NYC) - with coffee. Pre-light draw was good, was a straight tobacco taste all the way throughout, that was accompanied in the 1st third by a bitterness that thankfully went away. Not much to write about, score 5.5-6/10.

2. RyJ Ex4 - with LBV port. In short, what can I say that hasn't been said already, what a great cigar. Overwhelming toasted nut and almond on the finish..... exemplary!! Score: 8.5/10.

3. Padilla Habano Robusto - with Iced Tea. Pre-light draw was excellent, this cigar reminded me of a Oliva Serie O, just toned down. Great consistent flavor thoughout, and a fantastic ash. Another winner on an overall great weekend. Score: 7.5/10.

4. RP Liga B X-Out - with Iced Tea. These cigars are so slightly different from the RP Sungrowns that I really cannot tell. Wonderful cigar at a great price, that had the white-ist ash I have ever seen. They can only get better with time! Score: 7/10.

Well, now I must rest my tongue, for it is furry!!

John
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote