Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:14 PM   #11
Ljutic

Interesting. They sent me back 4 new pipe inserts for my 3 new standard inserts. They also sent me back the crusty old 1982 insert. That's kind of cool because I still use the case that insert came in with a butane insert. I bought that lighter as a high school graduation present to myself. Made a bet with a friend I'd still have that lighter at death and be buried with it. Stupid bet because you can't collect a bet if you are dead, but to my credit I've not lost that lighter in 42 years.

Appreciate the tip on the exchange. It worked out well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
Just packed up 4 regular inserts to exchange for pipe inserts. 3 were new and 1 was the insert from the first zippo I ever bought. It's pretty nasty. All the new inserts were replaced with Thunderbird or Zplus torch inserts when new. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the tip.
Ljutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:19 PM   #12
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Ljutic, happy to hear it all worked out. I have used many pipe lighters for outdoor use. The Zippo pipe insert works the best in windy conditions.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 06:19 AM   #13
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR View Post
Ljutic, happy to hear it all worked out. I have used many pipe lighters for outdoor use. The Zippo pipe insert works the best in windy conditions.
Got 2 never used Zippos I got as gifts as they have the Navy crest, painted on one, and one with a raised, gold and silver (color, not element) metallic crest.

They have just been collecting dust as part of my cigar/Navy crossover display with some Navy banded Cigars I've found and bought, and one as a gift from a great lady on Cigar Bum forums, who gave me the last known existing navy one, and 2 Marine Corp ones to smoke, but I gave 1 to a very crusty old Vietnam Recon Marine and it was the first time I ever saw him smile.

Wouldn't mind putting at least 1 into service for pipes, especially if they work better in the Wyoming winds than my other pipe lighter and Scripto disposables.

Update: got my 2 original inserts all packed up and ready to go. Just waiting for Zippo to verify that they still do this exchange, and are able to even though the butane pipe inserts show out of stock on their site.

I friggin love tobacco!

Last edited by smbauerllc; 08-21-2023 at 02:41 PM.
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 07:53 AM   #14
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Heads up. I got a response to my email to Zippo and they said they DO NOT exchange original inserts for butane pipe inserts, so I guess they stopped doing it and Bruce got in under the wire.

Email response:

Hello Sean,

Thank you for your recent e-mail. Unfortunately, we do not exchange the standard inserts that require lighter fluid for the butane inserts.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at 1-888-442-1932. Our hours are Monday – Friday from 8:00-5:00 EST.

Thank you for your interest in Zippo products.

Kind regards,
Elisa | Zippo Manufacturing Company and WR Case & Sons Cutlery Company | Consumer Relations, Zippo, Ronson and Case brands | 33 Barbour Street, Bradford, Pennsylvania 16701| p: 888-442-1932 | e: cr@zippo.com or cr@caseknives.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking on any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.

ref:_00Df44lweO._5006S2GnHAO:ref
Old 08-28-2023, 04:36 PM   #15
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Sean, Zippo should exchange standard insert with a standard pipe insert. The standard pipe insert looks like this and is a lighter fluid insert...

They will not exchange standard lighter fluid insert with a butane gas insert.

Last edited by SLR; 08-28-2023 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2023, 05:06 AM   #16
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Mike, thanks.
I guess I misread/got confused on what exact insert they were doing the exchange for.

So, obviously from the discoloration you use yours a lot. Doesn't the strong odor of the Zippo fluid taint the taste of the tobacco, at least the initial taste after each lightning?

I know when I used to use a zippo regularly, as did everyone in my crowd when I was in my "punk" phase and hung out with only homemade tattooed, green or blue hair, heavily pierced punks, the odor was Zippo fluid was very noticeable to me, but to be fair, I don't recall it altering the initial taste of a cigarette, or repeated lights of a bowl of the Mexican brick weed being passed around, but pipe tobacco for the most part is much milder than the latter two.

I know a lot of people use the butane inserts, but haven't heard much about people using fluid pipe inserts.

@SLR

I friggin love tobacco!
Old 08-29-2023, 05:19 AM   #17
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

The butane inserts work great indoors and terrible outdoors because of wind IMO. The lighter fluid insert works great outdoors. Truly a wind resistant lighter. As for taste, sure there’s a slight lighter fluid taste but if you let the flame burn a second or two, there’s very little fluid taste. I do use my pipe zippo a lot. It’s the only lighter I use outdoors.
Old 08-29-2023, 05:27 AM   #18
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

I really like very nice lighters. I have ST Dupont and Dunhill soft flames. They just don’t work well outdoors compared to Zippo. So zippo is my workhorse lighter for outdoor pipe smoking.
Old 08-29-2023, 05:34 AM   #19
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Good first hand info. Thanks.

Will probably exchange both my inserts, even if I rarely use them, as they have just been on display since about 2017, so might as well make them useful.

I friggin love tobacco!
Old 08-29-2023, 05:49 AM   #20
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR View Post
I really like very nice lighters. I have ST Dupont and Dunhill soft flames. They just don’t work well outdoors compared to Zippo. So zippo is my workhorse lighter for outdoor pipe smoking.
I definitely do need something that can handle up to 20mph wind, as Wyoming has daily winds of 5 to 10mph steady winds on average, but can gust to 20mph pretty frequently.

Dang, I won't even ask what thos3 2 lighters cost, but I bet they are really nice, as they should be for those makers and the price I'm guessing they go for.

Usually I can smoke in the glass smoke shack up until about 11am when it becomes a sauna from the sun blazing through the glass and onto the corrugated aluminum roof, thus need a good outdoor, windproof lighter (I don't expect miracles with the winds we get).

Plus, since I have a nice, 5 pocket fanny pack I now use to carry all my cigar and pipe supplies, I'm more willing to use them, as they won't be floating around in a pocket bumping into other stuff and getting damaged or the Navy crests worn fr rubbing on the fabric. They are nice looking Navy crest Zippos and both were gifts.so I've always been afraid of damaging them, but now they should be safe and secure in my fanny pack, so I would be happy to actually use them.

Will rebox them up (I just took them out of the box they had been in for a few weeks yesterday, lol) and send them off.

I friggin love tobacco!