Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 11-02-2002, 01:43 AM   #1
CigarChik
Starting Member

hi guys. ive had a rough couple cigar nights... bad burns. i need some advice. i tried a torano exodus robusto last night. beautiful cigar, rock solid. after lighting... my god, what a taste. my mind instantly started wandering about scraping up the money for a box. it really was amazing...very unique flavor. then.... the burn from hell. constant battle. tunnel here, run there. kept going out, taste turned bad and the pleasure was gone. even the ash was strange... dark, flaky, uneven.

this cigar arrived only 3-4 days ago. can this cause a cigar to have problems? do they need to stabilize from shipping before smoking? if so, how long? almost everything i have is only a week old.. hehe

the construction really was excellent and it didnt seem wet. does the h2k wrapper normally burn fluky?

Edited by - CigarChik on 11/02/2002 03:40:22 AM
CigarChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 03:10 AM   #2
love_this
Club Member

If you can, let them rest a week or longer before torching.

You may be drawing too often. Once I slowed down, almost all my burn problems disappeared.

Sometimes, it just happens. Light up another one and forget about it.
love_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 05:49 AM   #3
Gibby

I usually let mine sit for a least a week before smoking after shipping.
Well I guess I agree with everthing Love_this said.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:09 AM   #4
yessrinc

Hi, Amy- If your new humidor is keeping your current stash smokeable, I'd let new cigars rest at least 7 and preferably 14 days to equilibrate. No telling what kind of heat, cold, humidity they've been exposed to, and this gives them the best chance to smoke as well as possible. I haven't had any particular problems with burn on the h2k.

When even one American - - who has done nothing wrong is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril.
Harry Truman

yessrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 08:17 AM   #5
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I almost always let everything sit outside the humi for a few days. I take the cello off the box and give them the squeeze test to see how many days.

Once they get close I'll move them into the humi, and give them another week.
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 09:52 AM   #6
Elric
Club Member

I cannot resist smoking one on arrival. ASfter that it's 2 weeks. Try it, you'll taste the difference the 2 weeks makes.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:57 AM   #7
doohnibor
Club Member

I'm with Elric on this. I always smoke one upon arrival and then put the rest away for a couple of weeks.

Hopefully, the others won't be such a problem.

"Don't smoke good cigars when you can smoke great cigars"

doohnibor
Old 11-02-2002, 02:33 PM   #8
CigarChik
Starting Member

hi guys. thanks.

yessrinc... it was the exodus from you...thank you i probably didnt give it enough time. couldnt resist...i shouldve. its tough. like i said, almost everything i have that is still alive, is pretty newly arrived. i may have to take a week off. i dont wanna waste any more fine cigars.

as far as my smoking and humidor... i normally wait the advised 1 minute between draws... when i did that with the exodus it just went out. my humidor is holding nice at 66-68%

thanks again for the help guys
CigarChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 03:36 PM   #9
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

what loveless said (though I always seem to try one right off of the truck too!)

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 07:21 PM   #10
BIG E1
Club Member

I think these guys said it best. I usually will smoke one right away and if it tastes bad I call myself everything I can think of and then stick them in the humi for a couple of weeks. Then I'll try another one and if its bad still I'll call the vendor everything I can think of. But not to his face of course.
BIG E1 is offline   Reply With Quote