Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
windsorlacorona
Club Member

Zippo brand 'Premium butane fuel' in a torch ?

I've done searches on this topic but have not found any info on it. One of my local brick & mortar stores sells Zippo brand "Premium butane fuel" and I want to know if anyone has had any luck using this in a torch lighter. It provides no information on how many times it was refined, and the zippo website has no info on it either. The low retail price of $2.99 makes me suspect that it is not highly refined. However, looking at my bottle of Colibri fuel I see that it is called "Colibri Premium Butane" with no specific references to its triple refinement. Anyone have any info on this zippo premium butane? My guess is that it is somewhere between Ronson and the triple refined fuels.
-Winston Churchill
windsorlacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:38 AM   #2
SigloOne

butane

One thing I have noticed specifically with Colibri lighters is to only use Colibri gas. They apparently have tight tolerances and the added filtering is a must. I have had one get clogged by using zippo butane and have seen this happen to others as well.
Yeah its more expensive, but I would stick with Colibri gas with any torch lighter I owned.

One more thing about torch lighters, once you have run one out of gas be sure to purge the fuel reservoir to let out any trapped air. You can do this by turning the lighter upside down and using a small jewelers screwdriver or similar metal implement to press down on the gas refill nipple on the lighter to release any remaining gas or air from the chamber.
Then refill as normal. It is also good to let the ligher rest for 10 minutes or so after refilling to let it warm up from having the compressed gas refill it (which makes it cold).

--Steve
SigloOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:58 AM   #3
schwank

Re: butane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigloOne
.One more thing about torch lighters, once you have run one out of gas be sure to purge the fuel reservoir to let out any trapped air. You can do this by turning the lighter upside down and using a small jewelers screwdriver or similar metal implement to press down on the gas refill nipple on the lighter to release any remaining gas or air from the chamber.
Then refill as normal. It is also good to let the ligher rest for 10 minutes or so after refilling to let it warm up from having the compressed gas refill it (which makes it cold).

--Steve
Exactly. However any double or tipple refined butane should be fine. We sell Zippo and Colibri where I work as well (tinderbox). We just tell people to stay away from stuff like ronson and they'll be ok. Basically other butanes are dirtier and clog up the lighter.
schwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:19 AM   #4
Sancho Panza
Floridays
Herf God

NO! it's not Butane...works fine in Zippos, though

William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust 1948
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
emeraldsmoke

If you can find it triple refined butane by "King" is great. Locally a 6 oz can is under $7.

Mike M.
emeraldsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
Herfnerd
Club Member

I only use Lava butane - quintiple refined.