Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #161
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

sounds nice! Must know how that turns out. I've got a sumatra from Burmans that I am enjoying, and a nice honduran too!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #162
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

The Saris Abaya is a fascinating coffee. I've probably roasted a hundred dry-processed Ethiopians, but this one is a different animal from any of them.

Aromas from the green coffee are like a bowl of fruit: strawberry, banana, melon.

I roasted this batch just to the brink of second crack (Full City), so no sheen of oil on the beans. First impression: very few quakers for a DP coffee. That speaks to a very careful sort and a clean prep.

After 12 hours rest, the grind aromas were amazing. Something meaty was there, like a heavily fruited pork loin with a hint of cinnamon, slowly roasting. In ten years of roasting coffee, I've never gotten an impression like that.

In the cup, the first thing I notice is how smooth it is. Full body, almost viscous mouthfeel, but perfectly balanced by a lively acidity. Clean earthy flavors at first, replaced quickly by fruit flavors as the cup begins to cool. Most prominent among these is a distinct dried apricot flavor. Hints of strawberry and chocolate, with a subtle undertone of spice. No blueberries, but holy cow what an awesome cup!

Sweet Maria's always puts a "postcard" in with orders. The one that came with this order talked about the cupping trip Tom made to Ethiopia this year. SM's has "doubled the volume of Ethiopians" they bought compared to last year because they found so many good ones. If this coffee is any indication, then it's going to be great exploring what they found!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #163
Bobbystbob
Club Member

Costa Rica La Minita roasted 2 days ago to just FC, drip, splash. A very nice, bright coffee with good body. Good sweetness, too.
Roasting an Ethiopian wet process, Duromina. 1st place winner in the 2012 Taste of harvest.
Both of these are from Klatch.

Last edited by Bobbystbob; 08-16-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Bobbystbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #164
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

Okay, I'll try the morrocan with just a pinch of cinnamon.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #165
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

As you know, I like to blend different coffees together. I have found that the best blends (to me) always include French roast.

Last edited by fvfanmc; 08-17-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: so the post makes sense
Old 08-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #166
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

I was watching wealth tv last night. This episode was filmed in Milan, where espresso was first made. The show included a tour of the Delonghi factory and the Lavassa factory. It was a very interesting program.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #167
Bobbystbob
Club Member

La Minita, with 3, excellent. The additional days rest really smoothed it out. Good cup
Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #168
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvfanmc View Post
All have arrived. I have tasted the Brazilian, Colombian and the French roast. I can't wait to taste the Kona and Sumatra.
What surprised me, was all of the beans were not dark and oily. There is one place where I have ordered beans, they were very dark and very oily.

From now on, I will order my beans from the site where I just bought these beans.

I will use the sites that you guys cave me for the Ehtopian beans.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #169
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvfanmc View Post
What surprised me, was all of the beans were not dark and oily. There is one place where I have ordered beans, they were very dark and very oily.

From now on, I will order my beans from the site where I just bought these beans.

I will use the sites that you guys cave me for the Ehtopian beans.

I like lavazza a lot Mike

dark and oily comes from how long and how hot the coffee was roasted, and there are degrees of roasting like anything else.

the darkness is a matter of taste, although you gain and lose flavors as you go from lighter to darker roasts. What you like is, at the end of the day, what YOU like. Same as cigars, same as life.

You might like this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Guide-B...eywords=coffee

If I was closer to my copy I would mail it to you, but it is far away from me

Main thing is to enjoy your coffee! Or so thinks I.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #170
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I've done the cinnamon coffee before... but like 1/16th tsp for a full POT (12 cups) of ground coffee.
Sounds close to correct IMHO, if you wanted cinnamon in your coffee.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote