Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Partagas EL Piramide

"A Force To Be Reckoned With"

Partagas Edicion Limitada 2000 Piramide from Cuba
(dress box: 25)
Size: 6.13 inches by 52 ring gauge (Piramides)

Curiosity may well have killed the cat, but I knew that if I were to be done in on this particular evening, it would be by a Partagas Piramide. Having restrained myself from setting fire to this 2000 Edicion Limitada for the longest time, I could resist no more, and so sauntered into the study with cigar, Crown Royal Special Reserve and fire-extinguishing water in hand.

The hue of the wrapper leaf of the Partagas was, as expected, a very somber Colorado Oscuro composite of Bolivian rosewood and rich cocoa, riddled with even deeper markings of sepia and burnt umber. One mildly prominent vein curved through the lower portion near the foot. Some of the internal oils had migrated through to the surface, resulting in shiny crystalline deposits here and there which lent the cigar a very subdued, granular sheen. Meanwhile, an abundance of dark leaf swirled within the tripa, most of it ranging in colour from reddish mahogany through deep burnt sienna to Van Dyke brown.

Exhibiting a marginal box press, and predominantly on its bottom surface at that, the Piramide felt to be firm to very firm in terms of its roll density. This cigar didn’t so much dent and spring back as resist under the pressure of my fingertips, and such a degree of solidity led, inevitably, to an extremely measured smoking pace which necessitated fairly healthy draws.

As the Partagas combusted, the rippled naval grey outer surface of its ash contrasted with the charcoal toned, tightly packed filigree texture of the ash’s interior.

Before setting flame to the Edicion Limitada, however, I took note of its unusual aroma, composed of richly fertilized earth seeded with dark chocolate and expresso beans as well as a faint hint of allspice and a pronounced scent of malt syrup cured tobacco leaf.

Following lighting of the cigar, the aroma focused much more on notions of forest woods and undergrowth.

Ignition proceeded in faultless fashion, and the Partagas readily shifted into a medium-bodied gear, laying down flavours of Sumatran coffee, earthiness neither dry nor sweet, and a perplexing taste melding starches, herbs and spices I can only describe as reminiscent of Indian vegetable samosos. This opening array of palate presentations embodied smoothness and richness, and had a decided touch of the exotic about it.

As the Piramide progressed, I became aware of an ever deepening mushroom-tinged earthiness intertwined with curiously sweet ligero tobacco, as though the leaves had rested in old English ale barrels. Then it was on to yet more coffee, now infused with Brazilian chocolate, sultana residues and the heat of cherry peppers.

Spicy? Did someone say “spicy?” Entering the mid to latter stages, the Partagas layered multifaceted spices and an almost overpoweringly tingly sensation of cedar and citrus-licks in my mouth. This was a two-pronged punch which simultaneously made me feel hot under the collar and refreshed. Big-boned, but surprisingly never bitter, the Piramide proved tasty and totally satiating.

If I may make two relatively minor criticisms of the 2000 Edicion Limitada, they concern a subtle yet perceptible ‘blanketing’ of the underlying complexities as well as a tendency toward linearity of flavour delivery through the final moments. I’m reasonably certain that further ageing should ameliorate the first shortcoming, and hopeful that a few years will also improve the latter characteristic.

Whichever way you slice it, however, the Partagas Piramide is a force, albeit it a friendly force, to be reckoned with.

I’m looking forward to future encounters and will, of course, keep you posted.