Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
rockace521
Herf God

Learning some ZZ Top

Just got "Just Got Paid" Monday. Truthfully I've only listened to this song maybe a dozen times my whole life, but the riff made me request it from my instructor, sounded "cool."

Well, wow, it's a tough riff! The syncopation with the open lower E squeezed in between the main riff makes it super difficult for beginner-me, but I'm gettin it. Actually learned that the less I concentrate on the pluck-by-pluck the easier it comes.

Anyway, what I've learned about this song is that it is full of really kick-ass guitar work, and what I've learned about Billy Gibbons is that he is a very good guitarist. Some of the little extras he throws in just make me shake my head, he's GOOD. This is good music! And the fact that it came out in '72 makes it incredible that they've been at it so long, and were so complete a band so early. And it's real live blues, not just good ole Texas rock-n-roll (which it also is).

Been a real eye-opener.