Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

Cabaiguan maduro

Note: This is a review of Cabaiguan maduros that I purchased 2-3 years ago.

At the time that I purchased these cigars, Cabaiguans in maduro were very hard to come by as they were not making them full time. In fact I believe that mine were among the initial batches of maduros because they were not advertised yet. I had trouble finding them, and had them on back order with Two Guys for some time. Fortunately I was able to get my hands on some at the time when they were true hen's teeth.

Being that they were back ordered, I guessed that they were pretty fresh when I got them so I let them sit for about six months before firing one up. At that time I found that they were still quite fresh and young, with the accompanying bad manners. They were somewhat harsh and one-dimensional. Some cigars need more aging than others, so I decided to leave them for a while after that.

I had my next one last week and all that I can say is WOW! A couple of years and the once-brash youngsters became well mannered adults. I knew from the first draw, which was absent of any harshness, that something special was going on here. With most cigars the first few puffs can be harsh and raw tasting, even the best of them. So when I get one that is mild from the first puff I know that they are going to be either tasteless or fantastic. In this case it was definitely the latter! By the end of the first 1/4 the cigar already had pronounced floral notes, reminiscent of a good Cuban. And even a good Cuban usually takes longer to show the floral notes - this one did it within about 3 or 4 puffs from the start. As I smoked the floral notes continued to develop and change; then shortly after the halfway point I started getting freshly baked bread - for me the mark of a stone cold classic cigar. It was truly cigar heaven at this point. I continued to get the fresh baked bread for the rest of the smoke as the earthy tobacco increased slowly with each draw on the way to the nub; I was ready to smoke my finger as the smoke finally ended!

If that's not enough, the construction, burn, and draw were perfect. At one point I could not get a two inch long ash to dislodge! This thing was rolled by a true expert.

This cigar was truly one of the best that I have ever had in my life. After enjoying other Pete Johnson cigars such as Tatuaje and El Triunfador I am firmly convined that, at this time, his cigars are the best in the world.