Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2002, 08:38 AM   #1
MetsFan
Herf God

There has been some questions going around about what kind of grinder is needed for coffee. I thought it helpful to post my findings on grinders as I've gone through a few of them recently, trying to get the right one.

There are three basic types of grinders. Each has it's pro's and con's. Generally, the more expensive grinders do a better job but, depending on how you brew your coffee, you may not need the high-end ones.

Type 1 - "The Whirly Bird"
These are the cheap electic grinders/mills carried in most discount stores. They work like a blender by spinning blades and whacking the beans to bits. The best thing about these is they are small and inexpensive (under $20). However, it is very difficult to get a good even grind with them and they tend to be messy. The fineness of the grind is determined by how long you leave the beans in there. I used one of these for years though and was satisfied. One trick I learned was to shake it while grinding to keep the beans moving. Think of a martini shaker and you'll get the picture. If all you're doing is regular old drip pots, one of these will suffice. But, if you want to enhance your coffee experience, you'll want to move up to the next type.

Type 2 - Disc Burr
These grinders work by crushing the beans through two discs which rotate against each other. These grinders generally do a better job than the Type 1's. Many also offer the benefit of adjustable grind settings by turning a dial. These can be hand in the $40-$50 range and would be my recommendation for a good general purpose grinder if don't want to make espresso. However, if you are going to want to make espresso, you're going to need something that's more precise and that grinds very fine.

Type 3 - Conical Burr
These are similar to Type 2 but rather than using 2 discs, the burrs are a cone inside a sleave. These grinders are critical for making espresso as they can produce a very even, fine grind. They can also be used for Turkish coffee which requires an even finer grind. However, these units tend to be expensive. I just bought a Solis Maestro for $130. Based on everything I've read, it's the cheapest grinder you can get that can still produce good espresso.

I hope this helps.

I am a member of the Cuban albino midget rapper posse - Felonius Mack
MetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote