Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
cigarfan
Herf God

Cheap cigar recommendations?

By cheap, I mean less than Padrons...but maybe a bit better cigar than White Owls.

I got in a CI catalog today, and there is this big ad about manufacturer price increase on all CAO lines, July 1st. Geez...they aren't expensive enough.
I really like the CAO MX2 blend, and they aren't the most expensive. Toros are about $79/box of 20, Robustos...$74/box of $20...for the time being.

So I'm looking for something, maduro, but natural ok too. I also like connecticut type blends. medium strength. I prefer a smoother smoke with medium strength but plenty of flavor, as opposed to an overpowering...make your stomach weak it's so strong, type smoke.

I don't care about brands, so much as getting a nice smoke, for less money.

There are so many house brands, lower tier brands, bundles..I don't even know where to start.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. If this makes me a cheap bastard, so be it.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

If you're looking at CI look at Victor Sinclair which is a good value brand - they have a good maduro and a good connecticut

Also look at their 5 Vegas - there are enough different wrappers in that line to keep you going for a few days.

nice thing about CI is they have all sorts of samplers, downside the free shipping can be slow...

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
bigw
Club Member

I'm liking Nicks Sticks
Old 06-16-2011, 04:35 AM   #4
cigarfan
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
If you're looking at CI look at Victor Sinclair which is a good value brand - they have a good maduro and a good connecticut

Also look at their 5 Vegas - there are enough different wrappers in that line to keep you going for a few days.

nice thing about CI is they have all sorts of samplers, downside the free shipping can be slow...
As a matter of fact, Victor Sinclair was one brand I looked at. I was particulary interested in the 5 Vegas.

You're right..some good samplers in that line.

Thanks, I may just give the Five Vegas a try.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
dz130
Herf Meister

The 5 Vegas are good. I've liked each of the different versions that I've tried of them.

Finally out of the sandbox.

If I say Corona, I ain't talking beer.

RIP Ed Toner
dz130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
cigarfan
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz130 View Post
The 5 Vegas are good. I've liked each of the different versions that I've tried of them.
Good to hear. I've never tried any of them. I think a sampler pack would be the way for me to go.

Thanks very much.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #7
Breech
Club Member

JR's Cuban Alternative EL's.......

Damn they are good!

j

Talkin' 'bout some back rent, she lucky if she get any front rent.- John Lee Hooker

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!!
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
cadman

As far as "cheap" goes, you can't go wrong with the JR LE Alts, especially to the cohiba behike.

Secondly, and a little more expensive are the Famous VSL Hondurans. These are great smokes, IMO. And you can get them reasonbly priced on their auction site.
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote