Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:10 PM   #1
MurphMan

'Cigar Family' flaming Mhotek and bargainhumidors

I went to CF today to follow up on some posts by HMS Richard and couldn't believe the nasty comments from some of the members concerning BargainHumidors. I thought that I had accidently stumbled into CA Cuban Forum. Some of the posters were almost libelous.

I bought a Shiloh gift set a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier with it. I am now waiting for a Vicksburg gift set that Fed Ex lost and Jen at bargain, shipped out a replacement today. My experience has been outstanding and the customer service, I feel to be, professional. Jen even went so far as to call me to get this straightened out.

As far as the product, the Shiloh holds the RH perfectly and the craftsmanship seems to be quite good.

So what's the flame all about? I have never read anything negative here about Mhotek or his product and if I remeber correctly, even CA members seem to like his humi's.

Did I just stumble into a hornets nest of nitwits or what?
Old 05-21-2003, 01:32 PM   #2
fitzonelove
Club Member

Quote:
Did I just stumble into a hornets nest of nitwits or what?
Bingo!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:45 PM   #3
Ubiquito

I have made several purchases with Bargain Humidors and have had great experiences! I have received all of my orders promptly and in great condition and Jen has always been very helpful and available. I can't imagine what the flames would be about....(maybe I should pop on over to CF and see for myself!)...

I give BH
Old 05-21-2003, 02:21 PM   #4
ronin
The Duke
Herf God

Maybe it was his turn in the barrel
Old 05-21-2003, 02:31 PM   #5
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

That has been going on for a very long time. Do a search there and you'll see many threads about mhotek.
JLOH #19
Old 05-21-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
rramstad

I look at the situation a lot like trader comments.

Just because you have a good experience doesn't mean that other people didn't have a horrible one.

There are some relatively legendary stories about poor customer service from Mike.

Myself, I ordered one of his humidors, it arrived damaged and he offered to replace it. I thought it looked cheap next to my Aristocrat and was poorly built. (I wasn't expecting anything near the quality of my Aristocrat, but I expected something that I could have out and not feel like it looked bad.) I also thought the trays weren't deep enough and the unit was poorly engineered.

Mike and I did go out for dinner (wings & beer) in Columbus OH and it was a nice time. We traded some cigars in person. After the fact, much after, it became apparent to me that all but one of the Cuban cigars he gave me were in fact fake. (Someone else pointed this out, and yes, it was a long term member of CigarFamily, before they knew the cigar came from Mike.)

So, his products are inexpensive, and if you like them, more power to you, but that doesn't discount the problems that other people have had.

I might also add that I never slam CigarWeekly over there, and I never slam CigarFamily over here. There's enough antismoking lobby in the world for us to fight against.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
puffinstuff

There are many good members over at CF and a lot of them post over here. Mike's company has always done fine by me but there are people who have had customer service problems. Unfortunately it does happen and in a cigar board environment everyone hears about it, sometimes a legend grows. There are several people who will flame Mike at any opportunity. I have yet to hear he has caused tobacco beetles but I am waiting.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:54 PM   #8
MurphMan

rramstad;

Righto. I bought what I bought and I know that this isn't a $1000 humi. (however, one can justify spending that amount of money on a box that seals tightly, but not to tightly, but just right) but the way they have flamed him, is in my opinion, libelous and maybe his lawyers should look into it.

The man is running a business and what people say in disparing him shouldn't be tolerated without a shred of of evidence in support. You said that you had a product delivered that was defective, and that he made it right. So, what's wrong with that? Sounds like good customer care to me.

As far as smoking a fake Cuban, Gee, he would be the only person that's been fooled, when some estimates put the amount of fake Cuban cigars consumed in the US as high as 90-95%. Am I missing something here?

I am ammending this post because I just reread your comments, and I agree, we shouldn't lower ourselves to the level of CF or CA, let's keep it light and to the point of enjoying this most magnificent (and expensive) hobby.

I only wanted to point out my experiences with him and the first class service that I have recieved, and the quality of the products that I am familiar with. If anything changes I will be the first to yell foul.

Fair enough?
Old 05-21-2003, 06:09 PM   #9
puffinstuff

What your missing is flaming is not allowed on this board. rramstad stated is problems nothing more. He is a gentleman and anyone who implies otherwise is mistaken. If you don't like what you read at CF don't go there.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:10 PM   #10
Deano

MurphMan,
As was mentioned earlier, go back, read the related threads in the archive at CF and form your opinion from them. Your comment about no shred of evidence is not accurate.

Other than that draw your own conclusion.
Closed Thread