Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

IPCPR 2016 Review: Alec Bradley Mundial

A.B.Mundial PL#5
The night could not be more typical if one asked a playwright to script it. Let your mind play and drift over metropolitan New Orleans, on a night in the middle of August. As an old friend used to day, quoting many ancestors, “it’s a balmy evening;” and, indeed it is. I beg the indulgence of any who read this rambling, as my normal format seems to flow in this manner, no?

Describe the location, the weather, apologize for the predictability, and proceed. I’m also about to succumb to impatience and haste because I just got a rather substantial box of cigars from Cigar Weekly. Jason Clabaugh (BigO) owner and the Virtual Gourmand has favored the scribe (a title I once held in Boy Scouts) with cigars collected from July’s International Premium Cigar and Pipe Retailers’ (IPCPR) trade show for just this purpose.

Since it has been almost two weeks since circumstances have allowed me a cigar, I am quite ready. The weather in these parts is more agreeable than what our friends, just 40 or so miles from here are enduring. You may or may not know that nearly a third of the State of Louisiana is currently inundated; 90% of Livingston Parish is homeless as is a significant portion of East Baton Rouge Parish, Ascension Parish, Tangipahoa, and the east bank of St. James and St. John the Baptist civil parishes are just now getting hit with water. I think my committing the infraction of smoking a cigar “ROTT” rises to the importance we usually attach to it.

There be beauties in this parcel, but one little thing, with a perfecto tuck at the foot intrigues me. I have a certain weakness for little things like this Alec Bradley Mundial P.L. #5. It is outright daring me to smoke it now!

Okay, little perfecto, you have successfully tempted me with your dark pretty capa, which I later learn is from the Trojes region of Honduras, your ably applied cap and sweet herbal pre-light aroma. It’s time to go outside and smoke a cigar for review in the crepuscular gloaming.

The air sits a bit heavy, while the cigar is easily clipped and lit taking but one small match to get going. Early doors, it is woody in character, voluminous in smoke and a wonderful sight to behold as the tuck burns flawlessly. I am double and triple puffing on it as it produces such smoke!

Reese, the deliberately and vindictively incontinent dachshund is happily ensconced on the scratchy doormat as the burn line is now reaching the full girth of the cigar. The P.L. #5 checks in at 5.1” x 52. It is still woody with a touch of leather, now, starting to creep into the smoke. This is quality, but it demands attention and patience, I shouldn’t over-smoke as that will be detrimental to the cigar. It asks me to slow down and savor.

As the cigar passes its first third, the herbal pre-light aroma is gone, and it’s a bit “vegetal” to use a CW review descriptor. It has, however, a touch of sweetness, yet. The burn and construction could not be better, as I simply admire the cigar. At this point, it isn’t overly strong but firmly in the mild-medium spectrum. (On their own website, Alec Bradley describe it as medium while Cigars International states FULL.)

Nearing the halfway point it dropped the ash. A few minutes later? It went out, after all my praise about construction. It re-lit easily. Past the two-thirds mark, the flavors are holding steady, but there is a bit more strength to it. I’m beginning to notice a touch of a light head that has crept in to my awareness.

As we creep toward the head of the cigar, the familiar char is getting noticeable, this has been a good cigar. The flavor is not my favorite profile, but I would have this again. This disappoints me a little, as according to their website, this blend has taken five years to come to market and the company is rather excited about it. I prefer other lines from Alec Bradley to this one, yet it still offers a fantastic burn, quality construction, and an agreeable amount of smoke. All things considered, this is a solid offering.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 08-18-2016 at 09:02 AM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote