Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 06-24-2002, 07:02 PM   #1
Pill Man

Tonight after dinner, a friend and I shared a couple of glasses of Old Rip Van Winkle, 15 years old, 107 proof Bourbon (his Bourbon, my Bolivar Lonsdales).

My.. oh.. my! What a taste treat!

In my limited experiences, this has got to be the very deepest and darkest bourbon that I have ever seen - deep mahogany in color.

It's a very complex tasting Bourbon, demonstrating hints of barrel char, vanilla, caramel, and oak. It has a very rich "mouthfeel." Flavors of orange peel, nutmeg and clove developed as I drank on.

It was not as "spirity" as I had anticipated given its 107 proof - a good balance between flavor and alcohol. Complimented the Bolivars quite nicely.

There's not doubt that the older the Bourbon, the better. This 15 year old is not easily found, but if you're a Bourbon lover, it's well worth the search.

Doug

--
"Oh. I had religion Lord, to this very day, but the women and whiskey, well, they would not let me pray."
- Son House
- Son House
Pill Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 07:04 PM   #2
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Man, something else to go hunting for... :P

Sigmund Freud would be annoyed. - Kinky Friedman

I am a member of the Cuban Albino Midget Rapper Possee - MC Notorious Big Fat JpS

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 08:10 AM   #3
madal
Herf Meister

I've been wondering about the Old Rip, Just opened a bottle of Ezra B, 15 yr old. Tried it alongside Makers Mark, what a difference. My favorite at this point is Elijah Craig. Have you tried either?
Old 06-25-2002, 09:08 AM   #4
snibbetsj

Elijah's one of my favorites. The Old Rip sounds pretty good, guess I'll try looking for it.

"What if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about" - Unknown
Old 06-25-2002, 09:28 AM   #5
madal
Herf Meister

Any reviews/comparisons to Woodford?
Old 06-25-2002, 09:35 AM   #6
Pill Man

Quote:
I've been wondering about the Old Rip, Just opened a bottle of Ezra B, 15 yr old. Tried it alongside Makers Mark, what a difference. My favorite at this point is Elijah Craig. Have you tried either?
Maker's Mark has just been replaced as my "house Bourbon" by Knob Creek - smoother and more complex.

The Ezra B 15 is certainly more complex than the Maker's. Locally it's $22 - a bargain for a 15 yr. old Bourbon. However, some find the "wood" that the Ezra exhibits to be a bit overshadowing - it does have complexity, though.

I've sampled the Elijah Craig 12 years. A bit too much of a bite on the finish for me. I like my Bourbon as smooth as a baby's bottom (don't ask!). I've not yet tried the 18 yrs. old.
- Son House
Pill Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 10:01 AM   #7
madal
Herf Meister

Had a friend tell me that the Craig 12year old was smoother than the 18yr old. Normally, I completely trust his judgement. Got me herfin' 8-9 years ago!
Old 06-25-2002, 10:13 AM   #8
Oregone
Herf Meister

Quote:
Tonight after dinner, a friend and I shared a couple of glasses of Old Rip Van Winkle, 15 years old, 107 proof Bourbon (his Bourbon, my Bolivar Lonsdales).

My.. oh.. my! What a taste treat!
This bourbon is, IMO, superior to their even older expressions -- and considerably more affordable. It was the first bourbon I tasted that I (in my arrogance) proclaimed "perfect." The only problem with it is that there always seems to be a hole in the bottle; stuff leaks out or evaporates or *something* Next thing I know, the dang thing is empty!

-- Mark Twain
Oregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 12:20 PM   #9
madal
Herf Meister

Maybe you need a bigger bottle.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #10
Oregone
Herf Meister

Quote:
Maybe you need a bigger bottle.

It would just have bigger hole!