Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2003, 07:39 AM   #1
HMS Richard

Choosing Exotic Hard Wood for Your Humi - A Primer

http://www.sugarbearswoodworks.com/page/page/129566.htm

A little homework goes a long way when deciding on what wood to select for that special custom-made desktop humidor or cabinet. While a true craftsman can make an exquisite piece of furniture out of virtually any hard wood and the potential for problems is rare, the consumer can benefit from a cursory knowledge of the differences between types of wood as far as differences in density, working properties, durability and preservation. After all in today's market, a custom-made exotic hard wood humidor can set you back hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Deciding on the type of exotic wood for that heirloom-to-be can be a difficult choice. As such, it's not a bad idea to heed the words of clothing store "maven" Sy Simms: "An educated consumer is our best customer."

As a layperson, I found the above link very informative. If you are having difficulty deciding between one exotic hard wood and another, you might want to compare specs using the information provided. I also mentioned to one vendor, that it might not be a bad idea to offer this kind of data to all perspective customers. He agreed.

A reputable craftsman will steer you in the right direction and stand-by his/her work (Bob Staebell sold me on the stability of domestic mesquite years ago) but a little research on your end is not a bad idea either. Hope this helps. Best, HMS Richard

PS: Note: Not every exotic hard wood is listed but many of the more popular woods are. If you do not see your favorite/s, recommend you conduct your own independent research on the internet.