Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
Boxdoctor
Herf Meister

Steely Dan Tour

I was fortunate enough to get 14th row center seats for Steely Dan in Chicago last Thursday night. The tour is unusual in the regard that the band dedicated 1 night each to the playing of 3 entire albums. The first night it was Gaucho and then Aja. The 3rd night was Royal Scam and the 4th night was internet requests. My favorite is Royal Scam and thats the night I went. I remember thinking " If they want to do this right they need a horn section and back up singers " . PRESTO.... thats exactly what we got; a 4 horn section and 3 chick backup singers. Thank God Walter Becker didnt sing ! Fagen was in good voice and the arrangements were very good. There were 3 guitar players with Larry Carlton as the guest lead. After the album play they came back and did 10 more songs from various albums and the acoustics were great because the venue was the Chicago Theatre instead of some large Arena . I nearly pissed my pants when they did " Parkers Band ". Its going to be a great month of concerts for me as Iam back at the Chicago theatre Sept. 29th for another of my faves... Van Morrison and Leon Russell in a small venue that same week. Quite a great month of live shows for yours truly.