Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

My Christmas present...to myself.

For the record, I cannot sing, play the piano or violin.

You may remember that I've been fooling around with Guitars. To be honest Without much success. It's fun and good to learn something new. I've had a couple different kinds and still strum around on the Electric and Acoustic some.
But, I've been bitten by the Drum bug. I picked up a very basic electronic kit a year or so ago and have a lot of fun with it. So, I had been looking around for a cheap used Acoustic drum kit. I again, do not want to dump a lot of money into a kit until I know whether I'll stick with it or not. Clean used kits are not much cheaper than new outfits, around here. The things I wanted in the set kept running the price up. I did not want a toy, but the basic kits are stripped and I would still have to buy a bunch of stuff extra. So, I kinda put it on the back burner. I get emails from all the big musical outlets and a few days ago I got an email from the local Guitar Center. They were clearing out a bunch of stuff and this was one item that caught my eye.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Pe...83-i1171809.gc

A $259.00 Sound Percussion 4 piece starter kit, for only $199-with cymbals. It has the chain driven Bass pedal and upgraded hardware and it's from an OK brand. It's not Pearl or TAMA, but it's OK. I have no illusions that this is a " High Quality Drum Kit", but for a starter kit I am happy with it for now. I had been looking at 5 piece sets and there's nothing in a full size set, anywhere near that price point. Yes, I know the cymbals are crap and the heads are not great, but otherwise the fit and finish was surprisingly good. The demo unit sounded OK and felt solidly built. So, I picked it up with 10 pairs of medium sticks for under $230 Brand New out the door.
All the stands are double braced and the snare is a tight little unit. I need to pick up a real throne and I'm good to go.

The number one difference between electric drums and Acoustic? They are friggen Loud!

I got it all put together easy and am getting the placement dialed in. Did I say it was LOUD? I still need to sand bag the bass drum to lose the metal case sound and drop the tone, but everything else sounded OK. No the cymbals were not impressive, but until I get better they will do. The Heads will be the first thing on the list to fix and that's relatively cheap.

So, I'm gonna start with some tempo drills and focus on getting my grip right. It's a whole different world, when compared to electronic units. I really like the fact that the Acoustic units are so much more expressive and adjustable, tuneable and more intense. The electric had only two triggers light and hard. You can get so much more out of a real drum.

I'm looking forward to learning more and in the meantime I can work out my daily frustrations on the kit, instead of someones Head.

So, Merry Christmas to me!

Does Anyone here play?

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote