Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 01-18-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Cohiba Lancero

"Fidel-ity"

Cohiba Lanceros from Cuba
Size: 7.5 inches by 38 ring gauge (Laguito No.1)
EL OASU – El Laguito Factory/Issued 1998-06

There is refinement and then there is true elegance, and Cohiba’s classic Lancero surely exudes all the visual and tactile facets one might associate with the latter characteristic. Holding it is like cradling the stem of a fine, handblown wine goblet. Compact in gauge and densely firm to the touch, it nonetheless seems to float in one’s fingertips.

With age, the Laguito No.1’s fruitwood-like mid Colorado capa, tinged with a subdued ‘tandoori’ clay cast, acquires a more darkly mottled patina born of internal oils having gradually penetrated their way to the underside of the smoothly grained and taughtly wrapped outer leaf. The deeply set, carefully formed triple-seam cap with its well-known ‘pig-tail’ lifts the overall effect almost to an art form.

Yet this is one work of art obviously created not only to be held, looked at and admired, but to be incinerated! Slowly firing the cigar’s foot with a thin, flame-tipped shaft of cedar, I immediately became aware of a softness of aroma and flavour. This softness was not in the nature of a lack of intensity, but rather of an uncommonly rounded and integrated spectrum of elements. The predominant scents spoke of exceptionally well-cured tobacco leaf, freshly sawed maple wood, sweaty saddle-leather, herbal hints and pine needles, while tastes of gently roasted coffee beans, air-dried tobacco, pistachios, almonds and tapioca pudding hovered around a pronounced sweetgrass core.

Given the phenomenal melding of the various constituents, I found it well nigh impossible to differentiate between sweetness and dryness, so tightly interwoven were they. The flavour remained remarkably consistent and medium-bodied throughout, with the only notable transition being an additional toastiness that began to appear near the end.

Technically, this Laguito No.1 was a lesson in how a mature, narrow-gauge cigar should smoke. Its powdery-textured, white-grey ash detached somewhat reluctantly inch by inch while the edge of the burn varied minimally between ten degrees and perfect perpendicularity from start to finish. Apart from one minor touchup at the outset, I left the Cohiba entirely to its own devices.

This was the second vitola from this batch I had lit up, and having read somewhere or other of how satisfactorily Cohibas can match with Green Chartreuse, I elected to give the pairing a go. The Lancero and liqueur combined wonderfully well.

As I come to the close of the review, I must say I have mixed feelings regarding my encounters with this esteemed cigar. Why? Simply because, given the requisite finances and the opportunity, I do believe I could smoke one every day!
Old 01-19-2004, 05:36 AM   #2
JBrock
Club Member

Amen brother.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:11 AM   #3
avid toker
Club Member

Very nicely reviewed
Cohiba's flavor profile is unmistakable and more pronounced in this particular vitola in my opinion.
One my all time favorites for this reason
Old 01-19-2004, 06:44 AM   #4
jdrabinski
Club Member

Doug, you have outdone yourself with this review. And that's saying something! Truly exemplary reflection on a great cigar. I believe this review sets the bar for cw.com reviewers!

The Lancero is special. I agree. Very refined and elegant, oh-so-complex. You capture flavors so nicely. I am very fond of this vitola. The careful smoking it demands rewards ten-fold the slow, patient effort. Thanks for the review.

Unfortunately, your words have also sent me down the path of saving, scrounging, and flat out accepting debt so that I can buy another box of these!
jdrabinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:48 AM   #5
flyfishtn
Club Member

All I can say is incredible. What an excellent review
Old 01-19-2004, 07:19 AM   #6
westsideelectric
Club Member

Very nice review, Doug! I think you've summed up my love/hate relationship with this vitola very accurately. So tasty, yet so spendy...
Old 01-19-2004, 07:40 AM   #7
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Awesome review, as always, jazznut

I've been curious lately to explore the thinner ring gauges of Cuban cigars. I might have to start that journey by procuring a Cohiba Lancero.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:38 AM   #8
olateone
Club Member

Jazznut....

I just printed out your review....rolled up the page into a lancero- shape...and just smoked it.

Who needs to smoke the real thing when jazznut is capable of giving us the virtual taste.

By the way...enjoyed the smoke.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:50 AM   #9
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

For those of you experienced in such matters...

This batch of Lanceros is now approaching its 6th year. I'd be interested if anyone could fill me (and others) in regarding what to expect over the following half decade from this cigar.

Stock 'em or smoke 'em?
Old 01-23-2004, 04:40 AM   #10
Rayment

I have a box os Cohiba Lanceros CLE ABR02 Nice Colorado Wrapper Color, Excellent Construction without any problem in the draw, and have smoked two of them. The taste incredible, I cannot discerne all the flavors you indicate, but suffice it to say after smoking those two, I ordered 3 more boxes due in very soon. The 3 new arrivals are to have the RPO SEP01 box code, so I'll see how those are and get back.
Rayment is offline   Reply With Quote