Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 06-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
univibe88
Herf Meister

Which 1.75L Bourbon?

I like to keep on hand a bourbon in a 1.75L bottle to use for mixed drinks and cocktails. I used to be able to buy Makers under $30 at Costco. Then my local Costco stopped carrying it and my local package store charges ~$45 so I switched to Beam Black. It crept up from $22 to $30 and now my local package store stopped carrying it because he said it's gotten to expensive for him to carry.

I tried a bottle of Ezra Brooks and enjoyed it. It cost ~$28 so I thought I had found a winner. But now it has disappeared from the shelves. I asked my local package store what happened to it? He said he just can't get any supply from his distributor.

For <$30 I have seen Evan Williams and Wild Turkey 80. Do you guys recommend those or anything else for a pretty good Bourbon for <$30 / 1.75L? I'd rather not go down to Beam white label or anything at that level.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
pogophiles
World Cup Champion
Herf Meister

The Evan Williams is what I keep around now. I can frequently get the 1.75L for $17.99. It is just a touch sweeter than some others, but that is a minor quibble. For mixed drinks, it works very well, especially at that price!

Time marches on, you say?
Ah, but no,
It is not time,
But we, who go.

pogophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
LabRatGDI
Herf God

Ancient Ancient Age
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
univibe88
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatGDI View Post
Ancient Ancient Age
I have seen Ancient Age in 1.75s, but is Ancient Ancient Age available in 1.75s?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Huey
CW's Shark Wrangler
Herf God

Yes it is, and I second it as a great choice.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

AAA may be the best bargain out there. Price of corn rising really has beat hell out of bourbon prices

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothecary Puff View Post
AAA may be the best bargain out there. Price of corn rising really has beat hell out of bourbon prices
The 6 year old "very old barton" for 16.99 here in Georgia is a damn good deal if you're just mixing it. 90 proof. AAAge is better, IMHO, but it's also 6$ more per bottle.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I've had no luck finding the AAA around here.

From the ones you mention, either Evan Williams or Wild Turkey are decent mixing bourbons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogophiles View Post
The Evan Williams is what I keep around now. I can frequently get the 1.75L for $17.99. It is just a touch sweeter than some others, but that is a minor quibble. For mixed drinks, it works very well, especially at that price!
This is what I keep around for mixing as well...It's better than Kentucky Gentleman which, according to their website, has: "Authentic bourbon taste"
Old 06-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
ulster
Club Member

Damn you all - taxes on liquor in WA state brings prices similar to that in British Columbia on most items. At least the wine is still relatively inexpensive but beer is sure creeping up there. Generally when I travel out of state I stock up on booze.
ulster is offline   Reply With Quote