Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

The ultimate 'super taster' wine palate?

'Palate' that's electronic
Tom Biesheuvel
Bloomberg News

Excerpted from:
The Gazette
Saturday, August 9, 2008

Madrid - Spanish scientists have invented an "electronic tongue" that they say can check the quality of wines and detect fakes in the $6.8 billion market for vintages.

The pocket-sized probe uses chemical sensors to measure a wine's characteristics, including the year and grape variety, according to the latest Analyst journal published by Britain's Royal Society of Chemistry.

With bottles selling for more than $40,000, the wine market has attracted investors as well as fraudsters seeking to pass off cheaper varieties as the finest vintage. James Miles, founder of the benchmark Liv-ex 100 Benchmark Fine Wine Index, said most forgeries target the oldest wines and his employees are experienced and vigilant enough to spot any fakes. Miles values the fine-wine market at $6.8 billion.

Instead of swirling, sipping and spitting, the plug-in connoisseur has a flow-injection system and gives a read-out of statistical data on sweetness, saltiness, bitterness and acidity. The tongue successfully distinguished between grape varieties and years of vintage, according to inventor Cecilia Jimenez-Jorquera and colleagues at the Barcelona Institute of Microelectronics.

The tongue, measuring 5 centimeters, has been under development for four years, said Cesar Fernandez Sanchez, who works at the institute.

Sure... But I wonder just how much of the bottle the "tongue" has to sample before rendering a judgement?