Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

New Lighter

I've been having problems with my NIBO lighter, which is a triple flame butane lighter. It seemed that I would fill it, light one cigar, and then it wouldn't light again.

So tonight I stopped by Walmart looking for a new lighter, but they didn't have anything. I mentioned to the sales clerk that I was going to use the torch for lighting cigars. He told me to check out the new tobacco store down the road. I had forgotten about it. The store sells mostly cigarettes, but they had a bunch of torch lighters. I got one for $9.99. It's perfect.

Then, when I got home I figured I top off the lighter with butane. In doing that I noticed that near the valve on the bottom there is an adjustment. If it's turned the wrong way the lighter won't light. I took my NIBO out, made the same adjustment and, holy smokes, it works perfectly again. Oh well, now I have two lighters and it was certainly worth the $9.99 I paid.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Breech
Club Member

My Ronson was bought at Wally World for $2.99 and has been working ever since.... It is a single flame, but has hung in like a champ....

j

Talkin' 'bout some back rent, she lucky if she get any front rent.- John Lee Hooker

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!!
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breech View Post
My Ronson was bought at Wally World for $2.99 and has been working ever since.... It is a single flame, but has hung in like a champ....

j
That's what I was looking for, but they didn't have any. Someone told me that Ronson wasn't making them anymore.

Oh, and by the way, I tested my NIBO this morning. It's not working again. I don't care. At least I have my new inexpensive one.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I've used NIBO triple flame torches for years, and they all seem to go through a phase where they don't work well. I'll point out - once again - that the procedure spelled out in THIS sticky thread right here in this room definitively fixes the problem.

To summarize: On the bottom of the lighter, next to the refilling stem, is a small Phillips screw. Carefully remove that screw, and you can then pull off the bottom part of the lighter housing. You will find a small (as in tiny) o-ring around the base of the refilling stem. Carefully remove that o-ring, and you will have access to the adjustment system of the lighter. This system consists of a small brass or steel ring with teeth on the inside that engage the screw that adjusts the flow of butane and, hence, the height of the flame. You can then lift that ring off of the screw, turn it, and set it back in place. This allows you to dial up the butane flow beyond the factory pre-set limit. That adjustment (which you'll have to fine-tune experimentally) will make the lighter function MUCH more reliably.

Be careful how high you go, though. With my current NIBO, I can set that sucker to throw a 4" flame that definitely endangers my mustache and that does not cut off instantaneously when I let go of the thumb switch. Adjust, test, be careful, but the process definitely works.

Final note: This process will work with most conventional jet flame lighters, but NOT with Blazers, or at least not with PB-207s. Those have an integral cartridge-type adjustment system that does not allow you access to the inner workings thereof.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
alfa

I am hung up on my DuPont Xtend.
I always look for the cheapest deal, buying 2 at $100-150.
They take abuse, last very long on a charge, light outdoors in the wind and generally have the highest reliability/durability of any lighter I've owned.
alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
Breech
Club Member

I almost bought a Dupont in Las Vegas a few years ago, but I can buy 50 Ronson's for the price..... And once my cigar is lit, I really do not care what got me to that point...

My fallback are Strike Anywhere Matches..... Love those damn things!!

j

Talkin' 'bout some back rent, she lucky if she get any front rent.- John Lee Hooker

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!!
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

Well, after seeing the phenomenal job that Blazer Corp. did repairing another PT 4000 Pencil Torch, (14" cobalt blue flame with delayed-action off button,) when mine went tits-up I decided to forgo the $20 fee and 6 month wait and "take matters into my own hands" so to speak. Here are a few notes from the altogether too exciting but eventually successful venture:

The PT 4000 has a brass butane tank inside. This tank has an output valve that is lifted by the on-off switch. The flame adjustment collar is immediately adjacent to the tank, and then there is an extension tube that is approximately 2" in length. This extension runs almost to the head of the torch, where it fits neatly into a small carburetion valve assembly. It is this assembly that is visible at the tip of the torch. On my torch this carburetion valve had worked itself completely closed, thus cutting off all fuel flow. It took me a while to figure this out, however, so I got to have fun reducing my torch to individual components and thoroughly cleaning them all.

One of the things I attempted to clean was the inside of the 2" extension tube. This tube has an interior diameter just slightly greater than .5 mm. After thinking for a few minutes, I came up with the idea of using a pencil lead from a mechanical pencil. Voila! Perfect fit. Can you see where this is going yet?

First note: Do not, under any circumstances, pull up on the valve while the pencil lead is inserted in the tube. Ffffftttttt! Holy flechette, Batman! The pencil lead was ejected from my torch at a speed that I can only approximate as twice the speed of sound, firmly embedding itself in the ceiling.

Once the problem carburetor was found and adjusted, I reassembled the torch. Proud of my mechanical acumen, I called Stacy into the room and prepared for test firing. Second note: Upon reassembly, please double check to make sure that the 2" extension tube actually fits *into* the carburetion valve and not along side of it. Snick, click, WHOOOOF! The ensuing 12" in diameter fireball was singularly spectacular and dramatic in the extreme. I quickly switched off the torch, salvaging precious few knuckle hairs and a tiny bit of self esteem, and demonstrating to my gal that I am, as always, cool under fire!

Reminds me of two old jokes: What are a redneck's last words? "Watch this!" and How do you make a cat go woof? - With a pint of gas and a match.

Well, here I sit with naked knuckles, several pieces of pencil lead mbedded in my bulletin board (right, like you wouldn't keep doing it!) and a perfectly functioning pencil torch. I think I'll take the $20+ bucks that Blazer would have charged me and blow it on a nice cigar. Then I'll pop the cork on a nice bottle of shiraz, tear the paper off a box of truffles, and sit down to a good movie.
ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Instant classic...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

It's working perfectly. It was a very easy fix. All I had to do was turn the setting knob on the bottom. I did accidentally turn it too much and almost burned my head off. I kid not when I say the flame was a foot high. Anyway, it's great to have it working again.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTwin View Post
Well, here I sit with naked knuckles, several pieces of pencil lead mbedded in my bulletin board (right, like you wouldn't keep doing it!) and a perfectly functioning pencil torch. I think I'll take the $20+ bucks that Blazer would have charged me and blow it on a nice cigar. Then I'll pop the cork on a nice bottle of shiraz, tear the paper off a box of truffles, and sit down to a good movie.
A man with his priorities properly aligned.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote