Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
CSMAnderson
Herf God

Humidity Question

If you have cigars in a large humidor and the humidity is 70% does that mean the humidity in the boxes of cigars stored in the unit are also 70%? I'm talking about the boxes of cigars you have opened but the lid is shut for storage purposes. Or should you crake the lid a little so the humidified air can curculate into the boxes? hanks
CSMAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

given enough time the humidity should equalize

I do not crack lids, if that means anything

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Never thought of it, but, if the cigars were packed at the right humidity, and they're stored in an appropriate environment, they should be fine.

Cigar boxes are amazingly permeable things, I've come to notice. I've used a couple as "mini humidors" until I realized that they just did not maintain any deal of humidity inside reliably.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I never prop open the lids on boxes in my coolers. Paper, cardboard, cello, thin Spanish cedar...all are highly gas-permeable. If the cigars in the box started out at a good RH, and the humidor is maintained near that RH, they'll be just fine. If the cigars are a bit dry or a bit wet, it will take a little time but they will equilibrate to the RH in the humidor.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
KatDad
Herf God

Agree. Someone once explained it to me like this, "Think of the cigar boxes as well as the cellophane on the cigars (and on the boxes when they are unopened) as humidity "speed bumps" rather than humidity barriers. They'll slow things down but not totally stop anything."

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave

Last edited by KatDad; 10-24-2011 at 11:30 AM.
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Yep. They're graduated, as well. Cello barely slows down gas exchange at all, while the kind of Spanish cedar laminate plywood that many dress boxes are made out of is a pretty substantial barrier.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
Breech
Club Member

FWIW, I do fold up a little piece of paper, or a business card, and just crack my boxes open.... I have a small end table humi that holds (usually) about 17 or so boxes, so I am not cramming stuff in at every corner, so I have the room to prop open the tops. I even slide SLB's open a bit....

Not sure if it matters, but that is what I do.... Oh and lastly, I take all my cello off!!

John

Talkin' 'bout some back rent, she lucky if she get any front rent.- John Lee Hooker

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!!
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
cahow

I use the Boveda packs. 69% and 72%. They claim to last 6 months but here in the Philippines where it is humid they last for years. I've got a couple that are more than 4 years old that I bought from Mark at Tower Pipes and Cigars in Sacramento.

Right now it's 10pm with a temperature of 82 degrees and 59% humidity.

The lowest ambient humidity I've noticed is 40% and the highest 88%.

When it gets higher than 72% I leave them in my Lanai to be recharged!
cahow is offline   Reply With Quote