Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
squarerigger

You Philadelphia folks have a real treasure

Several weeks ago we sailed into Philadelphia on the Godspeed as part of our 80 day journey up the east coast. Well, I have been ordering from Holts for some time now and wanted to visit the shop. My first day off I got the yellow pages and a map and hiked up to the Holts on Walnut St. form Penns Landing. Wow!!!

I no sooner got in the door and was greeted and asked if I needed help. I told the gentleman I wanted to purchase a cigar and smoke it in the lounge. I was shown the cigar shop and allowed to wander around and make a selection. I paid for the cigar and went to the lounge. There were several folks all enjoying a smoke and some conversation. I took up a seat out of the way (being a visitor and bashful) and started to enjoy my purchase. A lady approached and asked if she could get me something to drink and I opted for the ice tea. There were newspapers there and I picked up the Philadelphia Inquirer and lo and behold on the front is a picture of yours truely squarerigger on the front page up in the foremast taking in sail. Well, I ask the lady if I can have the paper or purchase it. She says she would be happy to get me a copy as there was a newstand next door. I asked if she would watch my stuff while I went and got a copy.

Things were going so well I called back to the ship and told the first mate to haul his hind parts up to Holts for a cigar. He arrived and it gave me a reason to have a second cigar.

We stayed until closing, made some purchases and left for dinner.

Now I am trying to talk the wife into going on a weekend trip th Phiadelphia to see the sights and make a side trip to Holts.

Great folks, great selection, reasonable prices, and the hospitality was first rate.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote