Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Question Oliva Melanio

What can you lot tell me about these?
I know by experience and reputation that most Oliva cigars are well-made, and usually pretty tasty.
What is the story on these, in your experience? I ask, because at least three of the online retailers that send me promotional e-mails every day, have featured these very recently. In fact, C.I. and Serious BOTH are running specials right now, from yesterday's e-mails.

Are these not that good that everyone is trying to get rid of them? I think either Atlantic or Cigar and Pipes, possibly both, as well as Cigar Monster have recently had them, too.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

and the maduro.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 11-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Top rated cigar, also quite full bodied. Probably the most full of any Oliva.
What sort of price are you seeing? They're 12-14$ in cigar shops.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

I really had not paid TOO close attention to price, John. However, in the last few days, Serious Cigars, Cigars International, Cigar Monster (Famous,) Cigar and Pipes, ALL have them on sale. Basically, they're on sale at the same time from multiple retailers. That seems strange, unless, they are "monkey see-monkey do" and are following their competitors.

So I am trying to figure out why this is, and is it not a good cigar. I doubt that, Oliva really does not make duds. But it's a good discussion to have.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
CSMAnderson
Herf God

Sorry John, but I do not think the Melanio is full bodied. I think it is more med-full. I rally like this cigar. I just bought a box of 10 in the maduro and fine them to be really flavorful. Just my 2 cents.
CSMAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
tonycsmoke
Club Member

The regular Melanio is one of the best cigars I've had in quite some time. I wouldn't over think the there is a sale on it. I've paid pennies on the dollar for cigars that were fantastic cigars that didn't sell. There are a million cigars out there and everyone is fighting for our dollars.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post
The regular Melanio is one of the best cigars I've had in quite some time. I wouldn't over think the there is a sale on it. I've paid pennies on the dollar for cigars that were fantastic cigars that didn't sell. There are a million cigars out there and everyone is fighting for our dollars.
I agree with you, Tony. Good to see you here, by the by, I've always enjoyed your informed posts. I'm simply surprised that it is not just one sale, unless it's a sale from the wholesaler, because like I said, the sale is on through at least four different retailers.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMAnderson View Post
Sorry John, but I do not think the Melanio is full bodied. I think it is more med-full. I rally like this cigar. I just bought a box of 10 in the maduro and fine them to be really flavorful. Just my 2 cents.
Fullest of the OLIVAs...
and it's IMHO a full strength cigar. At least an 8 of 10 for nicotine level, again IMHO. But strength is fully subjective. And Body - properly defined as mouthfeel (just ask any beer judge... ) - it has a great depth of flavor and smoke.

Again IMHO...
John
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Old 11-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
I agree with you, Tony. Good to see you here, by the by, I've always enjoyed your informed posts. I'm simply surprised that it is not just one sale, unless it's a sale from the wholesaler, because like I said, the sale is on through at least four different retailers.
Sales tend to run like that. Oliva says to Bob - Buy 600 boxes of X and we'll give you 20% off the regular price. Bob says SURE! and bob is running a sale of Oliva for 15-18% off...

John
Old 11-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

Real good cigar. Tommy, buy them, and if you don't like them you can send them all to me!!!