Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

Cu-Avana Intensus Hammerhead

This "bundle" cigar recently caught my interest on the CI site, so I decided to take a chance and give them a try.....I'm glad I did! The Hammerhead comes in bundles of 20 and are currently on sale for $37.48. They are advertised as being full bodied and come in one size, 6.0x56.
I've had several of these and so far they have been very consistent. I found them to be rather full-bodied, not overpowering, but a nice kick. I wouldn't consider them to be a complex smoke, but again, consistent. I find a nice dose of spice & pepper throughout with that bit of "oomph" at the back of the throat that I like. If I had to compare these to something else I would say they are somewhat similar to the Cain F, with a bit of "heaviness" or earthiness to it. the Hammerhead uses Nicaraguan long filler and a Corojo wrapper and it does have that typical Nicaraguan flavor profile.
If there is one thing I might find as a small negative it would be the shape of the cap. I am guessing that the Hammerhead gets it's name from the shape of the cap which is "flat". With this shape I would think you'd have to be careful when cutting as it would be easy to cut too much and cause problems? So far I have not had that problem, but I can see where it could be.
This has quickly become my second favorite or perhaps even equal to the JdN Fuerte Serie B cigar in the "bundle" class of cigars.
I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars!
Old 03-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Well, now, it's another fair day in Greater New Orleans, clouds are coming in which will bring rain tomorrow, Holy Thursday or Maundy Thursday as you may call it. But it's nice enough out to have a cigar. The sounds of sports are all around, as East Jefferson High School and stadium are hosting a track meet to my right, the girls softball team is playing a game way at the corner of the field, so the shrieks still reach my ears. In front of me, but unseen due to overgrown vegetation, the baseball team is practicing, and the ping of baseball to aluminum bat rings.

Why do I attach this to Jon's review? My hand reached into the humidor a little while ago and came out with a Cu-avana Intensus toro, which according to web resources, measures 6" x 50, but the head is flat as a pancake, could this be the Hammerhead? It's box-pressed, so it has a nice look to it.

According to Pipes and Cigars dot com, this is an Estelí-made product from Nestor Plasencia. Most of their lines are mild, but this one is indicated to be full strength, with :
Nicaragua Corojo wrapper, and it's dark, but not maduro dark.
Nicaraguan and Peruvian ligero tobaccos in the blend.

The band is at the foot, the wrapper has some blotches, but according to what I've found, and as Spiridon indicates, this is supposed to be a bundle or bargain brand.

I should probably have gone back inside and found my old punch cutter, but I'm not the most motivated once I have a computer booted up, and a cigar in my hand. Any way, this flat head is not easy to cut cleanly with a guillotine, but it certainly looks different. This guy took three matches to get lit as there's a little breeze from the south this afternoon.

It's presenting a pleasant, sweet character right at the starter's gun (track meet in the stadium..see what I did there?) with just the slightest touch of cedar, and I do mean slight. This could be a wonderful dessert cigar. This must be mixed filler as the ash dropped very quickly, it's smoking fine, however. The flavor is already losing a little of its sweetness, and tending toward bread and nuttiness.

Edit 1
I am about two inches into the cigar, now, and the ash is holding well, better than early on. The flavor is toasty, now, a bit more flat and burnt tasting. But it's still acceptable. The ash just fell, as I put the cigar into the stirrup of the ash tray. But if it's mixed filler, that's to be expected. It's burning nicely, and has not gone out even though I've been putting it down to type.

I am, also, now beginning to feel the ligero punch, as my head begins to swim. It's not much, but I notice it.

Edit 2.
I have about an inch and a half to go, it's been steady and enjoyable. The ligero effect seems to have abated, but I have not stood up, yet, we shall see momentarily.

This is a good cigar, if you can find them, the prices online seem to be quite reasonable as well.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 03-28-2016 at 08:19 AM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:46 AM   #3
spiridon
Herf God

Great review Tommy! Glad you enjoyed it, dang I need to rummage thru the coolidor and see if I have any of these left.